FFP92/N95 certified face mask suppliers

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm due to go back offshore at the end of the month and my employer is insisting that I wear an FFP2/N95 certified face mask while travelling to the vessel. Does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers that are genuine? I've had a look on Google and a couple of sites seemed OK with a .co.uk web address but when you look at some of the text the English doesn't seem quite right. Have also heard of a lot of bogus sites and scams so a first hand recommendation would be useful.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Should they be insisting on that type of mask? Thought they were the medical ones that are in short supply and the public are being told not to wear them as they will take supplies away from those who really need them

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should they be insisting on that type of mask? Thought they were the medical ones that are in short supply and the public are being told not to wear them as they will take supplies away from those who really need them

I think it's FFP3 that are the medical grade masks but not 100% certain on that.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's FFP3 that are the medical grade masks but not 100% certain on that.

Long time since I purchased/used PPE but iirc FFP3 are respirator style masks with replaceable filters/cartridges...

Also if you still reside in Norfolk... I used to take my mum to a place behind Tesco on GY bypass... They sold what's needed to look after older folk including PPE for carers etc... A few years back so might not be there anymore...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There are various grades of mask and you are correct in some way. Don't know what the OP does does but keeping gas flowing for example could be seen as a key worker.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are various grades of mask and you are correct in some way. Don't know what the OP does does but keeping gas flowing for example could be seen as a key worker.
Agree totally, but as most masks just protect others and not the wearer (despite what most people think), if someone was coughing or showing other symptoms should they be travelling out to a rig or other place of work anyway?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree totally, but as most masks just protect others and not the wearer (despite what most people think), if someone was coughing or showing other symptoms should they be travelling out to a rig or other place of work anyway?

FP2 does protect the wearer it is in use in lots of hospitals.

One would expect anybody in any environment showing symptoms to self isolate. Trouble is , if you have been following everything, a person can have the virus and not show any symptoms.

I assume the OP has to travel by helicopter where it would be impossible to socially distance.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

FP2 does protect the wearer it is in use in lots of hospitals.

One would expect anybody in any environment showing symptoms to self isolate. Trouble is , if you have been following everything, a person can have the virus and not show any symptoms.

I assume the OP has to travel by helicopter where it would be impossible to socially distance.

I work mainly on survey vessels doing wind farm work. The client is insisting that we have to have FFP2 masks for travelling to the vessel, but no helicopter involved. I think that the client is being over cautious but as they are paying my invoice then I have to follow their instructions. As Jim says, it's entirely possible for one of us to travel to the boat with no symptoms and yet still have the virus. A lot of jobs at the minute are insisting on two weeks isolation in a hotel before going on to the vessel.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I work mainly on survey vessels doing wind farm work. The client is insisting that we have to have FFP2 masks for travelling to the vessel, but no helicopter involved. I think that the client is being over cautious but as they are paying my invoice then I have to follow their instructions. As Jim says, it's entirely possible for one of us to travel to the boat with no symptoms and yet still have the virus. A lot of jobs at the minute are insisting on two weeks isolation in a hotel before going on to the vessel.
My elder brother works on a similar vessel as a medic, currently in Far East somewhere. Usually does month on, month off but been onboard for 2 months and (possibly) back early June. No shift changes since CV-19 kicked in

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My elder brother works on a similar vessel as a medic, currently in Far East somewhere. Usually does month on, month off but been onboard for 2 months and (possibly) back early June. No shift changes since CV-19 kicked in

I'm expecting this job to be at least 6 weeks and probably closer to 8 weeks. I have been told that if it looks like it will be any longer than that they will look to arrange a crew change but they want to keep travel to a minimum.