Fanny Sunnesson would be having a fit

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watched a small bit of coverage of the highlights last night one shot shown repeatedly was Rory's superb chip in on the 14th.

One of the commentators noted just how many cameras came out when he arrived at his ball. One guy never in looked up once just stared at his phone the whole time despite just being just a few feet away and on the right side to see the shot absolutely clearly.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a symptom of modern living. I was on holiday in Alaska a couple of years ago and was astounded at the number of people looking at the stunning scenery through the screen of an iPad.

I realised many years ago that any attempt to document an experience reduces the enjoyment you get from it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I realised many years ago that any attempt to document an experience reduces the enjoyment you get from it.

And a good portion are not documenting it for themselves but to show others they were there.

The post social media era will happen but it might take a generation or two. I guess we just have to let it happen through education and rebellion of the next generation. They won’t want to be like their parents and a generation soon will abandon social media for the next big thing of that scale.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with this sentiment and it is mental that folk don’t realise they are recording something on a very poor quality recording advice that is being recorded by professional tv companies.

so what!?

so they can go to work and say, here is McIlroy playing. Fair enough, take a few photos of you enjoying the event but recording actual tournament footage on a phone) or concert footage for that matter) makes no sense to me.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's one of main main pet peeves.

Was in Rome last year and was constantly walked into and prodded by muppets with selfie sticks. The one that drives me mental is at concerts where people are standing there recording it with their phone, and even worst iPads. usually holding it up in front of them and blocking the view for others who rather experience it in person.

If you're going to go see something, go see it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't believe Fanny would have been upset at all!

Her objection was always the clatter of shutters at a key instant of 'her man's' swing!

That truly objectionable noise is pretty much non-existent with phones, or even real cameras, in 'movie' mode.

Recording possibly 'historic' events to be able to say 'I was there when....' is quite acceptable to me - under the above circumstances.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Time have changed.

Hiw many of us either have, or have had to look at countless albums after our friends, family etc returned from a holiday. All those pictures were taking by people who could simply have enjoyed the moment instead of having to take a pic.

Mobiles don’t distract the players, they make zero noise and capture in perfectly good quality. I’ve been to many events and captured highlights. Hasn’t lessened my experience or memory at all.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's only like 10 / 15 years ago when someone would come back from holiday... "look at my photos!"

"Here's me at the pool"
"Here's me by the beach"
"Here's me eating an ice cream"
"Here's a seagull we saw.. it was huge but it looks small on camera"
"Here's the sun setting over the sea"

It's only to show other people they had a good time. I've never been a fan of looking at other people's holiday snaps... and I've never really cared for slightly blurry photos of a golfer in the distance!!