Fairways V's Hybrid

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Swapped my Xr16 3 wood (16 degree head) for a H85 Srixon 2 Hybrid (also 16 degree).

Early results are mixed but ive only played one round with it due to the weather....

I did hit a word class shot on my approach into a decent par 5. Driver / Hybrid into wind (ish) and put it to 10 foot.

Id never have achieved that with a wood as i send it miles high. The hybrid goes like a bullet. Even lower than my TMB 2 iron (17 degree)

That hybrid is also in my bag - my go to club for a par 3 at ours which is 215 off the whites!
It's the only hybrid I carry.
Rest of the bag at the top end is Driver / 3W.....4 iron ->
I've got a GAPR Lo #2 which I have a love hate relationship with - but I tend to only consider swapping that in to the bag on very windy days when I'll put it in for the 3 wood....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
See
$319 on us website which is about £266 depending on exchange rate.
That’s a bit to steep .
I'd be amazed if they go lower than 300 at rrp. Most manufacturs seem to be aiming highend at very similar prices at little the figure anyways when selling in usd or gbp

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve tried various different hybrids and just can’t get on with them.
I prefer a 5 wood off the fairway (sometimes even a 3 wood) and a long iron or 3 wood off the tee

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Due to a love/hate relationship with my driver i recently purchased a Ping G 3 wood stretch off e-bay, took a bit of a chance but have set it to 12 degree and I'm getting between 200-220 yards with it which is maybe 10 yards behind my driver but tighter dispersion.
Have now set my G400 3 wood to 15.5 degree and have got a 400 19 degree hybrid, going to persevere through the winter months and see how i get on.

D

Deleted member 3432

Has anyone dropped their fairways for hybrids?

I had a trackman session yesterday and tried out a couple of G410 hybrids. To be honest the results were pretty staggering in terms of consistency and distance that I was achieving. So much so I pulled out my 5 wood (set at 16.5 - 3 wood length shaft) and started a comparison in terms of numbers, distance, spin, dispersion etc when put up against the G410 17 degree hybrid. While overall the my 5 wood was an average of 11 yards longer it was clear that the hybrid was far more consistent. Ball speed was always similar, the dispersion was better/tighter by 12 yards and the consistency of strike was better. Certainly the results surprised me, thought the fairway would be quite a bit longer with the lower (slightly) loft, longer shaft and bigger mass. Clearly not the case.

To be honest it has made me question whether I should/could just drop the fairway and add the 17 hybrid and a 21/22 (plug the gap to the 4 iron) hybrid. I figure that the hybrid is more versatile, its easier to hit off the fairway, its easier to hit out of semi and rough and to be honest for the sake of between 8 and 14 yards (lowest and biggest distance difference) its not something that worries me. Also the 17 can be turned down to 16 with the G410 and not effect the face angle. Decisions decisions!!!

I finish up on Sunday for two weeks, will book a fitting session I think.

I don't care what you use as long as you have a 2 iron in there somewhere.

I thought you were a proper links golfer ;)

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was aimed at drewster and anyone else who thinks they cant get a 5 wood airborne.

CHeers for the advice GID. I think it's got to the stage where it's now between the ears more than the practical side. If i'm going into par 5's with 100 yds or less i might as well stay where i am and see if i can improve my wedge and putting game.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry a driver, 5wood and then a 4i hybrid or a 7wood. The hybrid gives a lower flight and as a consequence has roll out. The 7 wood goes higher, but can be manipulated easier. At the moment the hybrid is in the bag. I have tried lower lofts in the hybrids but they don’t work for me, and I am in love with my eBay gamble of a 5 wood and I think that will be with me until it has a hole in the face.