Fairway woods

Nickrachel

Visit site
I'm pretty new to golf, having ok'ish rounds at the moment. I've got a ping 30 hybrid which I use off the tee and as a rescue club. My taylormade driver I'm still working on at the moment. But I'm now looking to add a fairway wood to the mix. What would you reccomend to add? I know everybody is different but would just like some pointers really.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty new to golf, having ok'ish rounds at the moment. I've got a ping 30 hybrid which I use off the tee and as a rescue club. My taylormade driver I'm still working on at the moment. But I'm now looking to add a fairway wood to the mix. What would you reccomend to add? I know everybody is different but would just like some pointers really.
Have a look around your local pro-shop. They usually have some second hand ones for sale. Get one that you like the look of at address and has a loft of around 15 or 16 degrees.

Nickrachel

Visit site
Have a look around your local pro-shop. They usually have some second hand ones for sale. Get one that you like the look of at address and has a loft of around 15 or 16 degrees.

Appreciate your time to reply. Are there any brands/models that are reccomend for a high handicapper?

njt1986

Visit site

I've heard really good things about Cobra's fairway woods with the "baffler" rail but i've never used them myself and I seem to remember hearing really good things about Adams' fairway woods too, as far as brands are concerned.

Obviously there's the big guns like Taylor Made, Titleist, Callaway, Ping etc.

I currently use an old Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood from 2010/2011 that i've kept because I've found that fairway woods are like unicorns for me, I can either hit them or I can't, and when I find one I can it'll stay in the bag for a long time! I had a Srixon 3 Wood years ago before I took a break from golf that I absolutely loved too.

As others have said, it may be worth having a look down your local pro shop for any second hand ones. It may also be worth having a look on places like Golf Bidder for a decent quality fairway wood for a fair price.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Clubhouse golf still have some mizuno jpx ez fairway woods in clearence, 15 degree for just 99 quid
Got one about a year back and very pleased with it, so much so the driver isn't in the bag just now and I'm not missing it

Nickrachel

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, definitely giving me something to think and look at. I struggle with my driver as previously said, and if I say got a 3 and 5 woods for fairways and off the tee then I may leave the driver at home. As I've been told it's one of the hardest clubs to hit.

I will go and look down the shops and see what's about. I've got Nevada Bob's and American golf near by.

Nickrachel

Visit site
Also, I have regular shafts on my irons so would I be best to have regular shafts if I buy online?

Just looking at clubhouse golf.com.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Probably go regular.

Drivers really are easy to hit these days. That said, I love my 3w off the tee. I just love the weight / length of it. Not far short of my driver, and just feels like home.

Nickrachel

Visit site
Check out Golfbidder for loads of second hand version and a they offer a 7 day return policy. Each club will have a description of condition (and pictures) and tell you what flex the shaft is

I've been having a look at that site, but they dont seem much cheaper than the ones on offer at the moment but I will keep an eye on it.

njt1986

Visit site
I've been having a look at that site, but they dont seem much cheaper than the ones on offer at the moment but I will keep an eye on it.

For the brand new clubs they are around the same price, but as you’re new to the game it may be worth looking for clubs that are a few years older and cheaper as, in general, clubs that are brand new this year aren’t much different to clubs that are 4/5 years old.

My whole current set I bought off there for about £450 in total, or the cost of one new driver

Nickrachel

Visit site
For the brand new clubs they are around the same price, but as you’re new to the game it may be worth looking for clubs that are a few years older and cheaper as, in general, clubs that are brand new this year aren’t much different to clubs that are 4/5 years old.

My whole current set I bought off there for about £450 in total, or the cost of one new driver

I see what your saying. But for a 3yr old club I can get a new one for not much more. I will take a look though.

njt1986

Visit site
I see what your saying. But for a 3yr old club I can get a new one for not much more. I will take a look though.

A lot depends on the club really. Certain clubs brand new, yeah the price is the same.

But look at something like the Titleist 917 F2, that’s still £230-£250 depending on where you buy it from Brand New, but you can pick up one Second Hand off somewhere like Golf Bidder or EBay for half the price. On Golf Bidder there’s on on there in great condition for £112.

All I’m saying is it may be worth finding something Brand New that you like the look of, if you can go try one then by all means go and try, then look on somewhere like that, or eBay or your Pro Shop and see if you can find a second hand version for less money. Up to you though, of course

Bitwobbly

Visit site
My go to fairway wood is a Ping G410 5 wood.
Fairly easy to hit, very forgiving and it is a beast!
Consistently hit further than a3 wood.
Pricey I know but worth every penny.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fairway woods are strange things.
Some love 'em, some hate 'em.....
Many people have a 3 wood in their bag that, if they use it, doesn't go much further than a 5 wood.
Off the deck it's probably the most difficult club in the bag to hit, unless you're a "driver off the deck" Guy.........
15° isn't a lot of loft to get the ball up from the ground.
You need a good contact and a healthy swing speed to make the most of it.
I've always felt that the majority of handicap golfers would be better off with a 4 wood around 17° than a 3 wood?
That extra couple of degrees puts a little more spin on the ball, gets it up in the air, keeps it there a bit longer and ,therefore, it goes further.
Some will even hit a 5 wood further..
Try clubs but don't get hooked into believing you HAVE to have a 3 wood.
Find a club that works and keep it! No matter what the loft is or the number on to sole.

13Aces

Club Champion
Visit site
Fairway woods are strange things.
Some love 'em, some hate 'em.....
Many people have a 3 wood in their bag that, if they use it, doesn't go much further than a 5 wood.
Off the deck it's probably the most difficult club in the bag to hit, unless you're a "driver off the deck" Guy.........
15° isn't a lot of loft to get the ball up from the ground.
You need a good contact and a healthy swing speed to make the most of it.
I've always felt that the majority of handicap golfers would be better off with a 4 wood around 17° than a 3 wood?
That extra couple of degrees puts a little more spin on the ball, gets it up in the air, keeps it there a bit longer and ,therefore, it goes further.
Some will even hit a 5 wood further..
Try clubs but don't get hooked into believing you HAVE to have a 3 wood.
Find a club that works and keep it! No matter what the loft is or the number on to sole.
Agree totally - great advice.