Fairway mats

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
We are now on fairway mats bit my question is, in a qualifying competition during the season can I use a mat to play from the tee ?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are now on fairway mats bit my question is, in a qualifying competition during the season can I use a mat to play from the tee ?

The specimen LR for the use of fairway mats says close mown areas "Through the Green". That excludes the teeing area.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
But what if the LR is only in place from the 1st November as at our place, through til 31st March.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does that affect what I posted?

The LR for the use of fairway mats is an addition to the normal Winter Rules which you say run from November to March at your place.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dec.1(a) Status of a competition when the use of fairway mats is obligatory
Q. May an Affiliated Club conduct a Qualifying Competition(s) when the use of fairway mats to protect the course is obligatory?
A. Yes, a club may run Qualifying Competition(s) under such conditions provided:
• their use is restricted to the preferred lie period (period as directed by the Union).
• all other requirements for Competition Play Conditions have been satisfied.
• a Local Rule for the use of fairway mats has been set out in the Conditions of the Competition.

But all players must be required to use them.

’A ball that comes to rest on a closely mown area through the green must be lifted, placed on and played from an Astroturf, or similar type of mat.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dec.1(a) Status of a competition when the use of fairway mats is obligatory
Q. May an Affiliated Club conduct a Qualifying Competition(s) when the use of fairway mats to protect the course is obligatory?
A. Yes, a club may run Qualifying Competition(s) under such conditions provided:
• their use is restricted to the preferred lie period (period as directed by the Union).
• all other requirements for Competition Play Conditions have been satisfied.
• a Local Rule for the use of fairway mats has been set out in the Conditions of the Competition.

But all players must be required to use them.

’A ball that comes to rest on a closely mown area through the green must be lifted, placed on and played from an Astroturf, or similar type of mat.
So can the use be voluntary ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would a club wishing to protect their course make the use of protective mats a matter of choice?
Although CONGU doesn't have anything to say on the matter publicly, IMO such a CoC would allow player to be playing under different course conditions and CONGU would not approve.
It would be a bit like saying all left-handers may/must/must not use preferred lies.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
As it stands, it is compulsory from 150 in, outside that, there has been no instruction, so a matter of choice as most see it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As it stands, it is compulsory from 150 in, outside that, there has been no instruction, so a matter of choice as most see it.
If the basis for using one from 150 and in is because it is compulsory to do so, and there is no other LR regarding their use, you would have to look to the rules for guidance about their use elsewhere... on the tee this would come down to whether the mat met the definition of a tee in appendix IV, but for the rest of the course it would be hard to see how you get round 13.2

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
From recollection it's a LR that they must be played from 150 in, I have no idea what the position is out with that distance, I probably should find out.