Fairway Mats

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today was the first day of the Winter League and it was decided that fairway mats should be used. Now the question I want to ask the experts is would it be better to use mats with the pile running up and down the mat, or the pile running across the mat?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would've thought up and down rather than across. Nothing to do with the strike just the fact that if its across the club would grip the mat on the follow through and would possibly finish 10 Yrds further up the fairway.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Today was the first day of the Winter League and it was decided that fairway mats should be used. Now the question I want to ask the experts is would it be better to use mats with the pile running up and down the mat, or the pile running across the mat?

:rofl: :rofl:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

I had a large one those years ago , but i use a small rocket launcher now :rofl:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Without doubt, I'd use the one on the left, as I could use the lines of pile to line up my shot.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Carry both, assess which way the grass is laying and use the mat that closest corresponds.

I use a strip of artificial grass for my mat in winter. I've got one of those wee rocket-launcher things as well, but they take about two clubs off any shot.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Without doubt, I'd use the one on the left, as I could use the lines of pile to line up my shot.

This for me as well, along with guaranteed correct alignment you also get more spin off a fairway mat, once spun a wedge 50' wind against off one at Murcar.

May I ask why has someone gone through the trouble of cutting them in the vague form of a knob though rather than just rectangular?