• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are considering using fairway mats this Winter on certain holes as these can get very muddy from underlying clay and worm activity . Every where that I have played as a visitor that use mats in the Winter have supplied them free of charge but was wondering is this also the case for members or were members encouraged to buy their own?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We were asked to buy our own last year (first year of using them). The club charged them out at a whopping £1.50. To be honest, didn't mind using them at all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not for me. We have a clay base in places and worm casts but we've never considered mats and don't think it would ever get approved by the members. To be honest as a visitor I wouldn't play a course with mats in operation over the winter as it would massively detract from my experience and I'd rather wait for drier conditions. As a member if there was a specific issue with drainage I'd want the club to be looking at that and would perhaps put up with a one year mat programme. My fear would be if it was introduced for one year, the club would then roll it out annually. Again I wouldn't want to be a member of somewhere with mats. We never have an issue with the course recovering from winter use the following spring/summer

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We tried supplying mats for free, but many were found lying about everywhere out on the course, Better making a small charge or encourage them to buy their own.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not for me. We have a clay base in places and worm casts but we've never considered mats and don't think it would ever get approved by the members. To be honest as a visitor I wouldn't play a course with mats in operation over the winter as it would massively detract from my experience and I'd rather wait for drier conditions. As a member if there was a specific issue with drainage I'd want the club to be looking at that and would perhaps put up with a one year mat programme. My fear would be if it was introduced for one year, the club would then roll it out annually. Again I wouldn't want to be a member of somewhere with mats. We never have an issue with the course recovering from winter use the following spring/summer
I was very much of the same opinion until I actually played off them and wow what a difference . Clean clubs after a round, perfect lie all the time , course being cared for and back spin like a pro :LOL::LOL: for me it's win win . It's Winter golf and means we can keep the course open when it would have been shut otherwise .

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have compulsory mats in January and February and the club supplies them for us. I hated the idea at first but soon got used to them. They sure make the game easier in the winter (driver off the 'deck', oodles of backspin, nice clean contacts) so the real trouble is getting used to real grass again come March!

Our course has a lot of play during the winter so I'm sure the fairways benefit from the protection and come March there will be lots less divots to contend with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was very much of the same opinion until I actually played off them and wow what a difference . Clean clubs after a round, perfect lie all the time , course being cared for and back spin like a pro :LOL::LOL: for me it's win win . It's Winter golf and means we can keep the course open when it would have been shut otherwise .

We do still get wet, especially the back nine, but invested heavily in drainage works courtesy of the money we got from the Red Bull air racing they had at Ascot for three years. If it gets really bad, they tend to simply shut the back nine. The front is higher ground and still drains well. With pick and place on fairways for a decent like (and suitably punished if you miss the short grass) I think winter golf presents its own challenges which I enjoy and I simply think a mat would dilute that. Of course if a course really does get that wet, then of course it makes sense.

D

Deleted member 21258

At the two courses I have used them as a member, I just took one out of the bin (didn't even think if I couldn't as a member, will have to check...whoops)

Never paid as a visitor.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm against them. Golf existed for donkey's years without them. Some people say golf wasn't the popular sport it is now, hence the need now. I disagree. Golf was very much at its peak in the mid 80's., with significantly more traffic than now, and mats weren't in use in the 80's/90's, or if they were it was at a level of being unknown.

Apart from when the weather is at its worst, divots still reroot. And come the spring, a few hours divotting helps. There's also option for placing/placing in the first cut.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the two courses I have used them as a member, I just took one out of the bin (didn't even think if I couldn't as a member, will have to check...whoops)

Never paid as a visitor.
Spoke to the one club this morning and yes they are foc 😉👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have been compulsory (foc) at my club for some years. At first there were protests but now are well accepted since players have seen the improved quality of fairways in the early spring.
After experimenting, we now only make them compulsory from about 160 to 30 yards from the green. Not sure of the exact distance but effectively where the course manager has determined divots are taken.

dronfield

Visit site
We have them as optional, but strongly recommended - i do agree that they do preserve the fairways. I know of other clubs in the area that have tried and then disgarded them, and some that give you the option to move your ball to the 1st cut of rough.

Our club still runs some comps throughout the winter and i have noticed some members suddenly deciding to use the mat when they want to be able to "tee up" a fairway wood, and basically play a shot that they would not be capable of doing under normal conditions!

Rich

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
FoC at St Andrews with bins on the first and 18th holes to collect/return them. Unfortunately I tend to hang them on my brolly and forget to return them after use. I think at the end of last winter's season I had over half a dozen in my car boot. :oops:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We have winter mats and have a bin for members to take on to use on the course. Unfortunately what happens is people take them, keep them in the bag and then don't return them till they are not compulsory. Which is fine for them but extremely inconsiderate for other members who want to borrow one from the bin and find there are none left.
Myself I use the divotEnd Rocket Launcher as I prefer it to the conventional mats. I don't have an issue with using it in the winter as you can see the difference come the spring and here in Scotland all the divot don't grow back in the winter.
In fact, you could call this topic a hardy annual as it comes up about this time every year. ;)

Hitdaball

Visit site
We have the rubbish plastic mats for for free and quite a few of our tees and fairways are compulsory.

A couple of members at our place started making some really nice mats which I bought. Well worth it if you use mats a lot in winter.

https://www.spurkgolf.co.uk/

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have no issue using a mat if that is what's required.

Perfect lie every time.

I comply with using them if required to. Some shots are easier (flops over bunkers) but a long shot into a strong wind is a nightmare due to the vastly increased spin that occurs.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't play on a fairway mat course during winter. I like the challenge of winter golf and to me it's not golf. I accept they are a necessity at some clubs and should be foc for members.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I comply with using them if required to. Some shots are easier (flops over bunkers) but a long shot into a strong wind is a nightmare due to the vastly increased spin that occurs.
Have you tried the Rocket Launcher?