Fairway mats in competition

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. I know a comp can be a qualifier, even if using mats on the fairway. I trust this does not allow players to use mats in the rough?

2. If clubs ask players to move balls 2 yards into the rough, and the ball lands 1 yard into the rough- what does a golfer do to comply with both the club and CONGU regulations?

3. Should the player mark their ball before placing on a mat, and does the 6 inch rule apply?

4. Are there any non conforming mats? What stops a player from manufacturing a mat with a raised mount like a tee peg to place the ball on?

5. If the ball is embedded on a very steep slope and the ball won't sit on the mat when placed, is it just a case of moving to a flatter spot no closer to the hole?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. I know a comp can be a qualifier, even if using mats on the fairway. I trust this does not allow players to use mats in the rough?
Correct

2. If clubs ask players to move balls 2 yards into the rough, and the ball lands 1 yard into the rough- what does a golfer do to comply with both the club and CONGU regulations?
That would be a breach of the Rules of Golf and CONGU regs

3. Should the player mark their ball before placing on a mat, and does the 6 inch rule apply?
There is no requirement to mark the ball. The mat must be placed as near as possible to where the ball originally lay.

4. Are there any non conforming mats? What stops a player from manufacturing a mat with a raised mount like a tee peg to place the ball on?
None known.
These are permitted but without the tee http://www.divotend.com/

5. If the ball is embedded on a very steep slope and the ball won't sit on the mat when placed, is it just a case of moving to a flatter spot no closer to the hole?
Yes

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

No 2- doesn't concern you as you're usually a lot more than 2 yards in the rough :rofl:.
Sorry couldn't resist :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely mental that comps are permitted with the use of mats. I wouldn't partake in them but if others want to they can knock themselves out.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dave is the 1st medal on the 12th still going to be fairway protection? If so that's a joke!!!

late last year it said fairway protection and 17th being changed back to normal on 1st March but website says still in place!

There's not enough medals on as it is as East Ren!!!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave is the 1st medal on the 12th still going to be fairway protection? If so that's a joke!!!

late last year it said fairway protection and 17th being changed back to normal on 1st March but website says still in place!

There's not enough medals on as it is as East Ren!!!

The medal is on the 12th, although it's not possible to book via How Did I Do, so it seems that this will either be pulled, or it will be a turn up and play comp. The decision might rest on the likelihood of mats being withdrawn.

As for number of comps- I can't really complain as I play in midweek and weekend comps, as well as entering the doubles and singles matchplay events. Add in bounce games, visits to other courses and golf trips via the forum, my golfing calendar is pretty full.

On top of this, there is the option to submit 10 supplementary cards- I'd be more than happy to join you in these!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But I like playing in comps- it's a good test of the nerves not just to do with the handicap. This year I will try and play as many comps as I can but when I see other clubs having weekly/twice weekly weekend medals it gets my goat. The midweek ones don't suit a lot of people due to work commitments.

The secretary emailed me to say it's a walk up and walk on medal I just hope it's not off Mats!!!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Absolutely mental that comps are permitted with the use of mats. I wouldn't partake in them but if others want to they can knock themselves out.

At my club mats are in play for parts of the winter. We only allow use on the fairway.

In comps their use is optional. I see this as ideal as I can hit long shots with my rescue very easily off the mats but can hit my 9 or wedge of the fairway.
This is a links course with green surrounds shaved to almost green length. The mat is great to use when you have a lob shot to play over a green side bunker to a green. Impossible off the deck, but achievable off a mat.

Medal for me tomorrow, likely to be tough as windy conditions forecast.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hardly 'protecting the course', which is the primary objective.

Use of mats is optional only in medals (3 over them period that mats are in play) and compulsory in bounce games.

We only have compulsory mats in Jan and Feb, optional in Nov, Dec & March to protect the course.

So, I am only following instructions. Also, remember this is a links course so we usually don't have massive divots.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you're not a fan of that rule :smirk:
Very much so.

We have had mats for 3 winters and the quality of the fairways early season has improved immeasurably. Even though we have always been thought of as a grass factory.
We are optional in November and early March, compulsory Dec, Jan & Feb. No mats required from 40 yards in.

I use a 'rocket launcher', brilliant for my driver :)