Evnroll putters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been sorely tempted for an ER2 but not as yet had the chance to actually try one.
I do wonder how much better the grooves are vs something like the Ping TR grooves, I suspect not a lot in it.
I think the Evnroll and Ping True-Roll look very similar and are clearly designed to do the same job. Having had a Cadence Anser TR, do I notice any difference in off centre-hits? Impossible to tell just by making a stroke and for me it would only be something discernible on a SAM lab device or similar.

Having had more than my fair share of putters, there is no magic bullet. Try and find a style and face (insert, milled etc) and stick with it (ok so I am down to my last three putters but I'm trying to take my own advice). Work on holing out from 3-5 feet and distance control and stick with it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the Evnroll and Ping True-Roll look very similar and are clearly designed to do the same job. Having had a Cadence Anser TR, do I notice any difference in off centre-hits? Impossible to tell just by making a stroke and for me it would only be something discernible on a SAM lab device or similar.

Having had more than my fair share of putters, there is no magic bullet. Try and find a style and face (insert, milled etc) and stick with it (ok so I am down to my last three putters but I'm trying to take my own advice). Work on holing out from 3-5 feet and distance control and stick with it.

All fair comment, but the same can be said of a new driver or a wedge etc . Just because a club comes with all sorts of promises (distance, straightness, draw or fade help) doesn't mean that it will cure all problems just by popping it in the bag. I currently have a TM Spider that, with a couple of lessons I am putting much better with than ever before, but the paintwork is shocking and it's looking like I've been digging in the garden with it, American Golf say it's out of warranty so TM wont do anything about it and I'm in the market for a replacement putter for the new season.

I feel that buying a putter that offers a certain amount of assistance is probably better than simply buying one that looks nice and the Evnroll putters get great reviews for their technology and putting results.The problem of buying putters is that we really should be fitted but that can cost upwards of £100, some of which may be refunded if a new putter is purchased, but the putter is going to be a new one at top price, so an outlay of potentially £400 +. My plan is to buy a secondhand putter at a lower price, try and get used to it and if I just cant putt with it better to sell it on.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All fair comment, but the same can be said of a new driver or a wedge etc . Just because a club comes with all sorts of promises (distance, straightness, draw or fade help) doesn't mean that it will cure all problems just by popping it in the bag. I currently have a TM Spider that, with a couple of lessons I am putting much better with than ever before, but the paintwork is shocking and it's looking like I've been digging in the garden with it, American Golf say it's out of warranty so TM wont do anything about it and I'm in the market for a replacement putter for the new season.

I feel that buying a putter that offers a certain amount of assistance is probably better than simply buying one that looks nice and the Evnroll putters get great reviews for their technology and putting results.The problem of buying putters is that we really should be fitted but that can cost upwards of £100, some of which may be refunded if a new putter is purchased, but the putter is going to be a new one at top price, so an outlay of potentially £400 +. My plan is to buy a secondhand putter at a lower price, try and get used to it and if I just cant putt with it better to sell it on.

Part of the problem must be that the spider is a very good putter so there’s not many places to go to find a better one!

I see where you’re going with the evnroll; the spider already gives great stability, the evnroll promises that plus consistent speed. Sounds like the perfect putter, doesn’t it?!

Everyone that says there is no magic bullet is correct, but that doesn’t mean to say there isn’t the opportunity for marginal gains ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Part of the problem must be that the spider is a very good putter so there’s not many places to go to find a better one!

I see where you’re going with the evnroll; the spider already gives great stability, the evnroll promises that plus consistent speed. Sounds like the perfect putter, doesn’t it?!

Everyone that says there is no magic bullet is correct, but that doesn’t mean to say there isn’t the opportunity for marginal gains ?

You're spot on imo. I'm not one of those players who roll in putts from 6ft with regular monotony but am definitely improving by having a better setup and swing. I look back to Mike Harris' video where he said he was already a decent putter but had made gains with his Evnroll. I figure if I can make a saving of 2 putts a round then my handicap with drop back to the 12'ish that its normally been. I shot a gross 76 the last round before the latest full lockdown and definitely missed a couple of relatively makeable putts.

The Evenroll isn't a thing of beauty like maybe a Scotty but stability us more important

'

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Has anyone got a LAB putter? :unsure:

If you've seen the youtube reviews, you'll have seen their weird "cage" which demonstrates how club heads move etc, I find it all quite interesting!

Meanwhile - Ive got an Odyssey SL #7 coming for christmas.. looking forward to moving to a mallet!

smahon87

Visit site
Would you consider getting the Spider refurbished? The paint work on those seems really poor, have seen Spiders which are only a few months old look like they've been in the bag for years, nicks and scrapes all over them and that's with people who are very careful with their head covers.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

If you've seen the youtube reviews, you'll have seen their weird "cage" which demonstrates how club heads move etc, I find it all quite interesting!

Meanwhile - Ive got an Odyssey SL #7 coming for christmas.. looking forward to moving to a mallet!

Bloke I know on a another forum had one about 3 years ago. If I recall he said it was very light....dont think he had it long.

I like the concept and the theory certainly makes sense but the aesthetics are awful.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Bloke I know on a another forum had one about 3 years ago. If I recall he said it was very light....dont think he had it long.

I like the concept and the theory certainly makes sense but the aesthetics are awful.

Have to agree on that - the blade does look okay - but the mallet (like Peter Finch's) wow, thats a spade and a half!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I've watched the cage thing which says the opening and closing of their putter doesn't happen when in the holder and indeed it doesn't, and they show other putters turning whilst they swing the cage BUT surely that all changes when the player is gripping the putter as the difference of hand pressure will stop a face balanced putter from turning freely where the cage doesn't put any pressure on the grip?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you consider getting the Spider refurbished? The paint work on those seems really poor, have seen Spiders which are only a few months old look like they've been in the bag for years, nicks and scrapes all over them and that's with people who are very careful with their head covers.

Absolutely not, I paid good money for it and am appalled at the crap condition it's in given that I've never thrown it or dug the garden with it, no I'll just take it as my opinion of TM's customer care ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Absolutely not, I paid good money for it and am appalled at the crap condition it's in given that I've never thrown it or dug the garden with it, no I'll just take it as my opinion of TM's customer care ?

I assume you have already approached them!! I wouldn't let it lie as it definitely shouldn't be in that condition as quickly as it is. I had an original Itsy Spider out of the GM store cupboard at GM HQ and loved it. No idea what I did with it (think it when back to GM). I keep looking at the Spider in the pro shop and stores and it's lovely feeling putter (put off now by the paint issues). Still trying to decide what style of putter works best and have an inkling for a milled blade but have a feeling a larger MOI style (like my Odyssey V-fang CH two ball) is better suited. In which case the milled Ping Nome has my attention

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I assume you have already approached them!! I wouldn't let it lie as it definitely shouldn't be in that condition as quickly as it is. I had an original Itsy Spider out of the GM store cupboard at GM HQ and loved it. No idea what I did with it (think it when back to GM). I keep looking at the Spider in the pro shop and stores and it's lovely feeling putter (put off now by the paint issues). Still trying to decide what style of putter works best and have an inkling for a milled blade but have a feeling a larger MOI style (like my Odyssey V-fang CH two ball) is better suited. In which case the milled Ping Nome has my attention

I asked AG they said it was enough over the 12 months and TM won't do anything- I haven't got any grounds to fight that but ultimately AG will lose out.

Whatever putter you choose will putt balls, let's just hope they drop ?