Europe or America???

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having just read a post by Shooter McGavin saying that the European tour is far better to watch than the US Tour at the mo, I thought I'd try and spark a bit of debate on the subject.

To watch, I find that very few events on the US tour are interesting. Random players, random courses and over excited crowds. Europe however, seems to have lots more to offer - there are usually far less birdes on offer.

However, if I were a player I'd find it hard not to want to play in the US. they get treated like Gods and win ridiculous amouts of cash for not being that good. Seems a good deal to me... if I were a player

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree, the European Tour is better to watch in my opinion and in a way I'm glad Sky has lost the rights to the USPGA as it is making them focus more on showing the European Tour in a positive light.

I have subscribed to Setanta Golf but must admit there hasn't been a tournament yet that has held my interest (apart from the WGL Million Dollar Challenge - Is anyone else following that - what a load of tosh!!). Hopefully the AT&T this week will throw something up - Bill Murray is usually good to watch.

The courses on the European Tour each have something to them, in the US, alot of the courses tend to be very samey, unless youre at a Sawgrass or Pebble Beach which are obviously standout.

Each tour has their own merits as to whats more exciting and why - I would hope most European golfers would admit to prefering watching our own tour, its just a shame some of our better players are adamant about playing across the pond.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
What gets me is that players will choose the PGA Tour just for the money- its not as if you can't make millions on the European Tour if your at the top! The top players are so wealthy they should surely select their events based on more than just where will give them the biggest payday.

In terms of variety of course, cultural experiences, excitement and characters the European Tour wins hands down.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the europeans didn't keep flitting cross pond the euro tour would be as high profile as the yanks and sponsors would inject more cash.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a bit of a vicious circle...the more that players go to the US, the more ranking points will be available there and the more attractive it'll be. If more players stayed in Europe, presumably that would lead to our events being considered more important and therefore more worthy of ranking points, which is what top golfers seem to be interested in as well as just hard cash. No one wants to be first to nail their ET colours to the mast though.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
To be honest I have always been more of a fan of the US Tour because there is a crowd it gives soem atmosphere, I mean you get the occassional spattering of applause for a great shot but in America they go wild just for hitting the green, its great.

Its no surprise that Dubai got a lot of people through the gates, because you know who (Tiger, just in case really) was playing.

Would always rather tune in to the US coverage but now its with Setanta am going to have to get used to the European, but the annoying thing is that, obviously it is on at the weekend when the football is on, or when you are at work on Thursday and Friday.

Cant wait for the majors!!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don’t consider the crowd going wild when a player hits the green to be anything to shout about, personally. I mean, look at the Phoenix Open where it’s more like a football match than a golf tournament. On the par 3s, the crowd erupts as soon as the player strikes the ball and there follows the inevitable chorus of Neanderthals shouting “Get in the hole!!”. *Shudder* Most players seem to think that the crowds in the UK and Ireland are the best because they’re the most knowledgeable and will only applaud a shot if it really deserves it. I remember David Duval saying that once during the Scottish Open, I think it was, he hacked a ball out of the base of a bush and got it to the front edge of the green, miles from the hole. He said a man in the crowd congratulated him for this fine shot (even though the result didn’t appear to be anything special) and commented that that just wouldn’t have happened in the States.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I know what Sparrowhawk means it can be a bit depressing to watch some of the euro tour events when there are three old grannies and a couple of poodles watching Ignacio Garrido chop it around.

The Europeans are pretty loyal though to the Euro Tour - not many play full time in the USA do they?

However, overall the Euro Tour wins hands down and if only we could get a few more links courses involved then it would truly standout.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dunno about loyal...it seems that the good players take advantage of the US Tour when they can while the lesser players haven’t got that option. It’s funny that some players are praised for staying mainly in Europe while others *cough*Monty*cough* are criticised for not having enough ambition if they don’t go to the US.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the point Mutlee makes is important. I suppose they have to play where the world ranking points or they face dropping down the rankings.

The Fed-Ex Cup is only going to exacerbate the problem