Essential Services

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right now nothing. They will pay from June and they have said they can keep trading aswell .

My mate has fallen through the cracks. He left a job in an argos reshuffle and decided on a career change. Hes been a driving instructor now for a few months and has now had to stop working. He cant trade and hasnt been self employed long enough to qualify for the financial help.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If one person who can make excellent lasagna and braciole dies or died from this thing, that's an unacceptable percentage of the world's population.
My diet doesn't allow me to have it often, but I defend my cheat days like a bear defends her cubs. Or perhaps more fiercely than that.

So much so that you reduce the death of 1000's down to your tummy on cheat days? :censored:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My mate has fallen through the cracks. He left a job in an argos reshuffle and decided on a career change. Hes been a driving instructor now for a few months and has now had to stop working. He cant trade and hasnt been self employed long enough to qualify for the financial help.
This is going to happen to a lot of people and it's sad and unfortunate.

There is supposed to be support for everyone, mortgage breaks, rent breaks, credit card breaks, universal credit,....enough for everyone to at least get thru this. As far as the government has said, no-one should reach rock bottom. I don't know what his options are other than to start with universal credit.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

have had 5 different people reach out for help/advice that fall down the cracks and will get zero support (bar universal credit of less than a ton a week if they choose to go that route) and there must be hundreds of thousands in the situ :( most dont have any reserves to be able to get through the short term either :(

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
have had 5 different people reach out for help/advice that fall down the cracks and will get zero support (bar universal credit of less than a ton a week if they choose to go that route) and there must be hundreds of thousands in the situ :( most dont have any reserves to be able to get through the short term either :(

My mate is lucky enough as hes married to someone in a decent paid job. Others wont be as fortunate.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mate is lucky enough as hes married to someone in a decent paid job. Others wont be as fortunate.

Applies to me to some degree, I wont get any support yet wont be earning any money for a while (not to mention how much Ill be losing on the all but completed property project) thankfully mrs fundy still employed part time, at least until tomorrow when she finds out if she's being furloughed. We have some reserves at least, more than most i expect but depending on tomorrows news I will be looking at others way of bringing in a few quid pretty quickly

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Applies to me to some degree, I wont get any support yet wont be earning any money for a while (not to mention how much Ill be losing on the all but completed property project) thankfully mrs fundy still employed part time, at least until tomorrow when she finds out if she's being furloughed. We have some reserves at least, more than most i expect but depending on tomorrows news I will be looking at others way of bringing in a few quid pretty quickly

Good luck. Hope things work out for you.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I do otherwise I wouldn't have posted it. If you don't think it's relevant then stick your head in the sand.

You just made it sound like they were the only two choices, when quite clearly they are not.
No sand required.

User20204

Visit site
The weekend is meant to heat up a fair bit, that'll be a right test for the restrictions and I for one will be breaking them. Two weeks now I've sat alone in my house, only driven for essential messages, spoken to no one I know physically other than via message.

I'm going for a long drive somewhere and don't really care if I'm "breaking the rules"

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
And as much as I’d like to wholeheartedly agree with you, we’d both be wrong, see post #100.
I've looked at post 100 and it isn't a question as to what a NE police force officer has said. He may be legally correct, but I doubt it. In any event, I wasn't talking legally, I was talking morally.
I have always been of the view and I'm clear that Boris in his broadcast was saying that there are limits on the occasions for going out from home.
Shops for essentials, medicine etc etc. Work from home if you can .And exercise.
It did not say driving to go somewhere you like to exercise yourself or the dog.
So, to my mind, driving unnecessarily is wrong.This is why.
It is a what if, admittedly, but relevant in these circumstances. If someone had an accident driving , look what happens. Ambulance attends ( they are in short supply) or Police or at the least there is connection with others. Everything that the advice is trying to avoid. And if that happens, and it's wrong that it should happen, whose fault is it? The person who was driving unnecessarily.
If he had walked himself or his dog from home, there wouldn't be any contact.
That to me is the unassailable argument.
That is what the N E Police should realise, and if what you report is accurate then they are foolish in giving such advice as they did.

As for the discussion re going to work. The advice said work from home if you can. That was it. If you can't it's obvious that you have to have an income. If furloughing isn't being given to you then you have to house, feed a family, then you need to stay at work.
I am not well up on whether firms are being bloody minded in not furloughing, or selfish, or breaking the law. I don't know if furloughing is mandatory.
Whatever, you cannot expect someone not to have an income.

D

Deleted member 16999

I've looked at post 100 and it isn't a question as to what a NE police force officer has said. He may be legally correct, but I doubt it. In any event, I wasn't talking legally, I was talking morally.
I have always been of the view and I'm clear that Boris in his broadcast was saying that there are limits on the occasions for going out from home.
Shops for essentials, medicine etc etc. Work from home if you can .And exercise.
It did not say driving to go somewhere you like to exercise yourself or the dog.
So, to my mind, driving unnecessarily is wrong.This is why.
It is a what if, admittedly, but relevant in these circumstances. If someone had an accident driving , look what happens. Ambulance attends ( they are in short supply) or Police or at the least there is connection with others. Everything that the advice is trying to avoid. And if that happens, and it's wrong that it should happen, whose fault is it? The person who was driving unnecessarily.
If he had walked himself or his dog from home, there wouldn't be any contact.
That to me is the unassailable argument.
That is what the N E Police should realise, and if what you report is accurate then they are foolish in giving such advice as they did.

As for the discussion re going to work. The advice said work from home if you can. That was it. If you can't it's obvious that you have to have an income. If furloughing isn't being given to you then you have to house, feed a family, then you need to stay at work.
I am not well up on whether firms are being bloody minded in not furloughing, or selfish, or breaking the law. I don't know if furloughing is mandatory.
Whatever, you cannot expect someone not to have an income.
And as I put in my answer I agree with you, but that doesn’t make us right if people in positions of power, even tonight on QT you had the Health Secretary saying people can drive a “short distance” to go for a walk! What’s a short distance for godsake, are making these statements and causing confusion.

It completely undermines what boris said.

I’m agreeing with you here, but I don’t believe it’s up to us to condemn those that do it, as in essence they are doing “nothing wrong”

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
And as I put in my answer I agree with you, but that doesn’t make us right if people in positions of power, even tonight on QT you had the Health Secretary saying people can drive a “short distance” to go for a walk! What’s a short distance for godsake, are making these statements and causing confusion.

It completely undermines what boris said.

I’m agreeing with you here, but I don’t believe it’s up to us to condemn those that do it, as in essence they are doing “nothing wrong”

I don't know which way I am on what is the essence and what is morally right. I don't know if "essence" is what is a moral is, and the legal question is something else altogether.

I can't remember who said in an earlier post, it might have been Tashy in one of his Mexican rambles, something along the lines of isolation breaks the chain of infection. Maybe that's the difference between a technicality and a physical reality. Where the morals and legality is on that is for others to decide.

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The weekend is meant to heat up a fair bit, that'll be a right test for the restrictions and I for one will be breaking them. Two weeks now I've sat alone in my house, only driven for essential messages, spoken to no one I know physically other than via message.

I'm going for a long drive somewhere and don't really care if I'm "breaking the rules"

and people like you are exactly what is wrong with this country

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
and people like you are exactly what is wrong with this country

Here's a thought. Maybe he put up that post to get exactly the reaction you gave him. Let's face it, it is pretty much a trolling for an argument post. Insignificant and hardly worth the effort of a reply. You gave him the attention he sought?