End Of Season Course Awards

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

So the same as what LQ did last year ( UK only )

1. Best Course you have played

2. Best greens you have played

3. Hardest Course

4 Best Value

5. Notable Mentions

For me

1. Best Course is Sunningdale Old - just stunning in every way , golfing heaven

2. Best Greens - Hankley Common - just rolled true and perfect

3. Hardest Course - Royal St George’s - still beats me up

4. Best Value - West Hill on a spring rate of £45 was just superb

5. Notable Mentions - Sunningdale New - lovely Course , Royal West Norfolk - everyone must play it at least once and when the tide is in , Hollinwell - cracking course

D

Deleted member 15717

1. Best Course you have played - Sunningdale Old

2. Best greens you have played - Hadley Wood

3. Hardest Course - Sunningdale Old...purely as I struck it like a dog that day!

4. Best Value - Sunningdale. To play both courses, with food before, in the middle and after etc etc. Bargain.

5. Notable Mentions - The Warwickshire Earls & Kings. Hankley Common - Excellent...just didn't fit into the above!

Not really played many different UK courses this year so far, so not a lot to report on!

D

Deleted member 17920

My season doesn't end till November as I am at Royal County Down and Royal Portrush in a few weeks time :whoo:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played: Muirfield - even in the terrible weather on the day

2. Best greens you have played; Gleneagles Kings course - lightening quick but true

3. Hardest Course: Muirfield - killer rough

4 Best Value: Hard to say as I've rarely paid full whack this year. A course that greatly exceeded my initially modest expectations was Bathgate, good routing, interesting elevations changes, decent greens modest pricing.

5. Notable Mentions : Comrie - 9 hole Perthshire gem & Elie - old school delight

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Sunningdale Old

2. Best greens you have played - Blackmoors in June were very very good. Burnham and Berrows greens are exceptional all year round too.

3. Hardest Course - Saunton East or West. pick either. both beat me up every single year.

4 Best Value - Swinley Forest. 36 holes for £165 with 3 meals. absolute steal

5. Notable Mentions - Both Berkshires were brilliant, Burnham continues to improve. Ive played so many of the top courses this year its been brilliant.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Okay, based on the rather limited experience of my one week holiday in Manchester:

Warrington, just a stunningly beautiful golf course and in pristine condition, even at this time of the year. Very enjoyable.

hard to say, since I have been in the UK in September, so a lot of courses had work done on their greens, Davyhulme Park probably, but might be different during the rest of the year

3. Hardest Course
Ellesmere ... so many slopes and some really tricky holes. It was also quite wet when I played it, which did not help.

4 Best Value
Boysnope ... nothing special, just an honest to god golf course, but in good condition and when you can play 18 holes for 13 quid on a Sunday as a visitor, that's pretty decent.

5. Notable Mentions
Frodsham was a very beautiful course as well. I really struggled with the wet and clingy rough, though.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
1. Best Course - Sunningdale Old - fully net high expectations, Quinta do Lago South , never tire of it, Old Course St Andrews, the history just makes me grin!

2. Best Greens - Laranjal last week were great

3. Hardest Course - Burnham & Berrow, on a windy day., always gets me!

4. Best Value - Royal Porthcawl in their winter open / Preston - Pro took our Welsh County Cards and charged £22.50 - stonkingly good for that!

5. Notable Mentions - Palmares - great views and variety of holes, Elie in Fife - quirky and old school, lots of fun

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1. Best course - Hankley Common

2. Best greens - Kibworth (in th Spring and early Summer they were excellent, a credit to our ground staff)

3. Hardest course - Ullesthorpe, just can't put a round together there.

4. Best value - Old Farts meet at Forest Pines

5. Notable mentions - Scraptoft, local parkland course which was in great nick when I played it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Far less glamorous than most of the replies but here we go:

1. Best Course you have played - Whitley Bay

2. Best greens you have played - Close House, Filly Course

3. Hardest Course - Cleveland (Redcar)

4 Best Value - Whitley Bay, AG voucher, £18

5. Notable Mentions - South Shields was an interesting course to play with the greens in excellent condition

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Sunningdale New

2. Best greens you have played - Ferndown

3. Hardest Course - The European

4 Best Value - Swinley Forest, signed in by a friend.

5. Notable Mentions - I've had a good year this year. Hankley, Broadstone, Parkstone, Portmarnock

D

Deleted member 21258

1. Best course - Without a shadow of doubt, Sunningdale old, amazing course and had great company to play with.

2. Best greens - Royal St Georges

3. Hardest course - Beau Desert, due to greens, really liked this course

4. Best value - Kendal at £12.50 and made me laugh almost all the way round, some mad holes

5. Notable mentions - Little Aston and Woburn courses Dukes/Marquees

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
1. Best course - Formby, we one and only top 100 course

2. Best greens - Kings course at The Warwickshire

3. Hardest course - Formby, every drive was a bunker magnet

4. Best value - West Midlands at £23

5. Notable mentions - Stonebridge, really enjoyed it

D

Deleted Member 1156

1. Best Course you have played - Sunningdale New

2. Best greens you have played - Ferndown

3. Hardest Course - The European

4 Best Value - Swinley Forest, signed in by a friend.

5. Notable Mentions - I've had a good year this year. Hankley, Broadstone, Parkstone, Portmarnock

I'm interested in these nominations!

Playing the European in a couple of weeks and expecting it to be the best course I play this year. Played Parkstone in their men's invitation last month and not only were they the best greens I've putted on this year but possibly the best ever!! They were quite simply superb.

I'll come back to this thread in a couple of weeks :)

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm interested in these nominations!

Playing the European in a couple of weeks and expecting it to be the best course I play this year. Played Parkstone in their men's invitation last month and not only were they the best greens I've putted on this year but possibly the best ever!! They were quite simply superb.

I'll come back to this thread in a couple of weeks :)

It's all subjective. I played the mixed open in Ferndown festival week and thought the greens were superb, the best I'd played on this year. Parkstone for me was good but I suppose I was expecting a little more. I enjoyed your track more than Ferndown and Parkstone, again it's all subjective. Enjoy the European, we had 36 holes there in July and I found it tough.

D

Deleted member 1147

( UK only )

1. Best Course - Sunningdale New - only just better than the Old, the par 3's nudged it for me

2. Best greens - Hollinwell - simply superb roll and consistent speeds

3. Hardest Course - Kedleston from the Blues in the club champ's & Kedleston Goose - with the wind blowing it's long and tough

4 Best Value - Hankley for HFH

5. Notable Mentions - Royal Porthcawl was fantastic, just a shame that the fog prevented any grand vistas. Sunningdale, Hankley & New Zealand for the food.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hillside. I know you should plump for its more famous neighbour, however I thought hillside was amazing. Even though I lost a shed load of balls.

Birkdale was set up for the open when I played it. Stands up etc.

The greens were amazing.

3. Hardest Course

Hillside or Walton Heath. Maybe just because I had a stinker both days.

4 Best Value

Royal Liverpool, Birkdale, hillside, brabazon, Walton Heath, mottram hall and the mere were all freebies. With beer thrown in.

Can I count them 😁?

5. Notable Mentions

Hart common near Wigan. 13 quid and always playable. Top little course.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sunningdale old for me in all categories however got an exciting trip to the states for family holiday and have treated the wife to a night at Bay Hill for a spa. Wonder why and have also booked a round at Streamsong blue.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Monifeith

2. Best greens you have played - Ballater

3. Hardest Course - 1562 Montrose

4 Best Value - Banchory 36 hole open - £25

5. Notable Mentions - Edzell fabulous condition as always

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
1. Best Course you have played - Monifeith

2. Best greens you have played - Ballater

3. Hardest Course - 1562 Montrose

4 Best Value - Banchory 36 hole open - £25

5. Notable Mentions - Edzell fabulous condition as always

Haven't played Edzell in years, had heard it was struggling but going by your report I hope I was misinformed. Lovely golf course.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not been up to Scotland or played many Opens this year so ...
1. Best Course you have played NEW ZEALAND
2. Best greens you have played PYRFORD
3. Hardest Course CUDDINGTON (Surrey Mid-Age Champs)
4. Best Value n/a (only societies or Opens)
5. Notable Mentions EFFINGHAM for their usual superb hospitality