Electric trolley recommendations

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi All,

I'd just like to get everyones thoughts on electric trolleys.

I used, and still do, carry my bag when playing golf. But recently after the operation on my kidneys and the issues I had, I'm struggling with back problems, so I am seriously considering buying an electric trolley.

I know there is a lot of love in here for the Go-Kart a.k.a. The Plastic Pig, but I was hoping to get some feedback on Froummers various trolleys, and any Pro's and Con's?

I like the look of the more conventional trolley, such as the Motocaddy S1 or S3, so am leaning towards that end of the spectrum, but can't seem to get over all of the good press on here reagrding the Go-Kart.

Help!!! :)

p1pete

Club Champion
Visit site
I spent some time looking at electric trolleys and ended up going for a Go-Kart and for the price they are great. Fold up really small so I can get my clubs, trolley and all the other crap in the boot of my not so large car.

Customer service is also fantastic, I had a dodgy charger gave them a call and got a replacement the following day, with a freepost sticker to return the original, and some free balls and tees to make up for it. Since then two of my friends have also got them and they are really impressed. Going on our society doo in April and arranging a Go-Kart 100m dash, so that should be fun :D

Only issue is when going down hill you need to keep hold of it as it tends to run away, but I think the trolleys with the brake systems are some £200 more! Oh, and it doesnt like being pulled backwards, i.e. whaen trying to get it up the steps at my local range.

Still, can't recommend it enough and for £225 its a bargin

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Here's the review i wrote about my Hill Billy Terrain for Golf Monthly back in December... I've had it 4 months now so i'll update at the bottom of this speel...

I collected my Hillbilly at the weekend so thought i'd post a review after my first use.

The trolley was very well packaged and the battery came in a seperate box, although the charger for said battery was in the box with the trolley. As soon as i could, the battery went on for its first 12 hour charge before i headed out to the course.

I fitted the folded down trolley easily into the boot of my car (honda civic) with wheels still attached and with golf bag on top. I reckon there's still enough room in there for another golf bag easily. If i need more room, the wheels come off in a few seconds.

Out of the boot and everything clicks into place with a nice solid feeling and it's easy enough to unfold, click into place and put the battery and golf bag on in around 1 minute. So the old argument that electric trolleys are too much of a faff to set up each time is non-substantiated. It takes more time to put my shoes on!

First thing i did was press the 10m button in the car park by accident - so sorry to the person driving into the car park only to see a golf trolley hurtling towards them! I quickly grabbed it and promised myself not to be so thick in future. Although that function almost made a fool out of me in the car park, it proved very helpful out on the course.

The small wheel that's used for speed control is placed very nicely and with easy access for either left or right handers. Indeed, i used both hands through the course of my round. I also managed to operate it whilst wearing winter golf mits. The rubber handle is very tactile and re-assuringly grippy as well.

The course was Swanston on a wet and windy day, so the grass was wet and this was a very good test for the trolleys capabilities as Swanston is not the flatest of courses!!

The wheels have a tread pattern and no doubt this helped on the slippery surface. Not once did it struggle for grip, not even on the rain sodden 10th that has a bit of a hill going up to the green.

At top speed, the terrain is pretty much matched to my normal walk. It would be nice to have the ability to go a wee bit quicker, but it will easily keep up with 99% of peoples usual pace. It's also very easy to be able to set it to go slower if you like be rotating the speed control wheel back towards you.

As i mentioned earlier, the trolley has the function that you can press a button and make it trundle off without you to where-ever you point this. Just don't do it in a car park! You tap once for 10 metres, twice for 20 and thrice for 30 metres. I used this function a few times and i think this feature will get a lot of use from me. As long as you know distances, you'll be fine with it. It meant that i was able to select a club from my bag, tell the trolley to keep going along the fairway for a wee bit, go over to the first cut, then meet my trolley again more conveniently a little more along the fairway, rather than having to walk back up to it.

Now, onto the biggest thing about the trolley, and i'm guessing this applies to any electric golf trolley out there. It took away all of the usual back ache, tiredness, and general inconvenience of having to pick up and put down and then pick up my carry bag. I felt better for it and that can only be good for my golf. With a carry bag, you lift your bag at least as many times as shots you take. Over a round, that's a lot of effort. Then you have to do things like climb hills all with that weight on your back... not with an electric trolley. I noticed this in a big way yesterday and i'd bet that even more energy will be saved in the winter months with the trolley than in the summer, what with the extra gear we carry and the more difficult walking conditions.

The only thing i'd say against the Hillbilly is that you have to pay extra for a carry bag for it. Surely most people who use electric trolleys are going to have to transport their new toy in the boot of the car... a bag to keep any mud away from the car interior would be a nice touch.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and look forward to many years of it carrying my bag for me. :)

Having used it for around 12 - 13 full rounds of golf now, i'll add this.

It's still going strong and i wouldn't be without it now... especially when playing in a medal. keeps you free of fatigue right up to the last hole. It went through a week of being very noisy at the end of December so i skooshed some GT85 into the wheel connections and it's been fine since. It is capable of carrying a fully loaded cart bag up a very steep slope - as long as you keep hold of the handle, as otherwise it'll flip back over on itself.

One thing that's annoying is the price of accessories... £25 for a brolly holder, the same for a travel bag.... etc etc.

Other than that, i wouldn't be without it.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a second hand Motocaddy S1 a few months ago. It has never missed a beat since then. Comfortably handles our rather hilly course and is extremely stable.

The only thing with it is that it doesn't fold up very small so getting everything in my admittedly small boot is a struggle.

But its very quiet, smooth and goes beautifully.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What I would recommend is NOT TO BUY a

PowakaddyFW11.

Nothing but trouble , overpriced and underperfomed. Second time back to shop after 9 months

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the new Motocaddy S3 and it's fantastic, silent, easy to use, folds down small, never had a problem. I'd summarise the 3 main options as follows:

Powerkaddy - They break and the customer service is rubbish

GoKart - They break and the customer service is brilliant

Motocaddy - Can't comment on the customer service as they don't break

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a lot of people that have the plastic pig and very few of them have had problems. Those that have have been expertly and quickly looked after. I can't see how you can ask for more. It is good value for money, fits neatly into a Fiesta boot, is lightweight, robust and won't rust.

benjrussell21

Medal Winner
Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand Hillbilly Terrain
(it was approx 5 months old) and I cannot fault it,
It easily does 36 holes,and is an excellent bit of kit,the only problem I had with it was the control switch,I contacted Hillbilly expecting to pay the £10 fee for a new switch,but they sent me a new switch,fitting intructions and a stamped envelope to send the old unit back free of charge,not many companies would do that,

hopeful

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The family clubbed together to buy me a Motocaddy S1 for my **th birthday. Lucky old Dad/Husband :) It's well designed and well made, folds easily though admittedly not too small, and copes easily with my hilly home course. Only criticism is the speed/on-off control knob, it's too 'light' in operation with little feel to it. All too easy to over-rotate causing sudden speed-up or slow-down. And as I found today, also too easy to unintentionally switch on... it almost finished up in a water-filled ditch :eek:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have had a Hillbilly terrain for 18 months now. It has broken twice, is very noisy, no one stocks spare parts, customer service is zero, and it has no mud clearance for the front wheel so I carry a spatula to clear it mid round. Can't recommend it. The equivalent PK is worse.

I like the 10/20/30 meter function though.

The plastic pig (Have I re-named this? They must love me) has a few things going for it, but looks isn't one of them).

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Having reported about a friends issues with his 15 month old Hillbilly Terrain last week in another thread. Well he had it serviced / repaired. Cost. £240!!!!!!

Yep. £240 quid. To have a trolley that is less than 2 years old repaired. Should've gone to GoKart!

Oh. And another vote for the plastic pig from me.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Go-Kart, and the criteria for me was:

1. Needs to be lightweight - it is.

2. Must fold into a small package - it does.

3 Quick and easy to put together - it sure is.

4. No faffing about with battery - click in and click out.

5. Easy to clean and looks smart - it is, and does.

It has a very handy carry bag to keep the inside of car clean. Use your negotiating skills and get one thrown in when you buy. :eek: :D :D

Golfmmad.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
Yup...seen others and I always thought the metal ones should fold down smaller than the go-kart....they don't.
GoKart folds reeeally small, squeeze the clips on the wheels and they both pop off, as well as they battery is easier to get on.
so...gokart = smaller, cheaper, better service, you know it's the right choice.

sfby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a GoKart for 3 months and not had to test their customer service at all (is that a record?). Yes, the scorecard cover broke off, but I think that's a given. Usually carry the card in my pocket anyway.

Overall - very happy, great value for money.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always put my hand up for mine. Trojan 250 sport. available from powerpro golf on't web. 2 year guarantee and 5 year on the motor. Does what it has to and all for less than £200.

nulassilb

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a GoKart. I have been completely satisfied with it and with the service I have received.
I opted for it because so many people praised the after-sales service; because I wanted to support a British concept; because it did not appear to be over-priced and because I was able to order it without any fuss over the internet.