Effect of shaft stiffness

birdyhunter

Visit site
If I've got the wrong stiffness of shaft for my swing, say it's too flexible.. will that generally make the ball go from right to left in flight as the whippy shaft lags and catches up? (RH player)

And if the shaft is too stiff, will it also change the ball flight? (I guess left to right).

Or isn't it that simple?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
This could not be less relevant. What would be the result if someone with an 85mph swing speed conducted this experiment? Apart from a great deal more inconsistency, I think you'd find that the stiffer shafts led to a loss of distance & possibly a much too low launch angle. The results Rick Shields got are surprising, especially with the A flex but it confirms what the experts say, stiffer & heavier reduce dispersion & spin.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This could not be less relevant. What would be the result if someone with an 85mph swing speed conducted this experiment? Apart from a great deal more inconsistency, I think you'd find that the stiffer shafts led to a loss of distance & possibly a much too low launch angle. The results Rick Shields got are surprising, especially with the A flex but it confirms what the experts say, stiffer & heavier reduce dispersion & spin.
I've seen the same outcome with much slower ss too. The old adage of you can't launch a shaft thats too stiff if nonsense. It's just in your head. I would definitely agree that too stiff has a negative impact on ss but it's still in the same ball park.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I've seen the same outcome with much slower ss too. The old adage of you can't launch a shaft thats too stiff if nonsense. It's just in your head. I would definitely agree that too stiff has a negative impact on ss but it's still in the same ball park.

And I've had the same outcome at a fitting; R, S, & X in similar weights & same shaft model produced nigh on identical results. That was 3 or 4 years ago & at the time the fitter said he'd never seen it before (although I don't know if he'd tried it before). Now it is considered the way to go by some fitter;

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2018/june/review-shaft-weight/