Edinburgh/ West Lothian/ East Lothian Lesson recommendations please?

TigerTime

Visit site
Hi all, not posted in a while but still playing and enjoying every minute out on the golf course (well for the most part!)

I got my first handicap index last year of 23, it is now down to 19 but I am looking to bring it down a bit more this year and see how close I can get to 10. For that I've come to the conclusion I am going to need lessons and lots of practice to get anywhere close to that. I had a few lessons previously a couple of years back and the thing I took away from that more than anything was the lack of structure of things to practice. All very well someone telling me to practice this or that drill at a driving range, but to put it simply, I need to be told how often and how many times. That's just the way my brain works and it's how I learn.

Kinda like if you had a personal trainer at the gym, who would create a workout routine for you, they would tell you what exercise, how many sets and reps etc. I can't seem to find a coach in golf who can do similar for me from what I can see from an online search. Granted there is not going to be a magic number of repetitions for drills, so a coach telling me to do Drill A 18 times per range session might not even scratch the surface or it might be overkill, but I definitely need a more structured routine from lessons to go away and practice and learn before implementing it for real in my game. I did message someone around this area who has a good reputation and they replied initially but have now just went completely silent.

Just looking for suggestions if anyone knows of anyone in these areas who can do something structured for me, or just for recommendations in general and I can send them a message to see if they fit the bill or not.

Cheers

Ando

Visit site
I had a few lessons with Colin Brooks at Braid Hills driving range after coming back to playing regularly last year.

I found him to be good. Lessons were focused on areas I wanted to address and felt like I got some nice results fairly quickly (at least for the particular improvements i wanted to make).

Struck the right balance of technical detail, a pragmatic approach to explaining concepts in relatable terms and boosting confidence.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a few lessons with Colin Brooks at Braid Hills driving range after coming back to playing regularly last year.

I found him to be good. Lessons were focused on areas I wanted to address and felt like I got some nice results fairly quickly (at least for the particular improvements i wanted to make).

Struck the right balance of technical detail, a pragmatic approach to explaining concepts in relatable terms and boosting confidence.
I agree. I had 4 lessons from Colin Brooks and he made a big difference to my game.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Colin is a great coach - keeps things nice and simple instead of bombarding you with technical stuff. Recommended.

Can anyone recommend a good coach out in east lothian?

Albo

Visit site
Mike McNally out at Swanston is very good, I use him regularly, make sure you understand what he’s telling you and why. I’m sure he would be more than happy to give you a practice plan

peld

Visit site
but to put it simply, I need to be told how often and how many times. That's just the way my brain works and it's how I learn.

No pro can tell you that. You arent building muscle or losing weight like a gym personal trainer. Some people can make a swing tweak in 5 swings, others take hundreds.

TigerTime

Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I decided against lessons in the end, and have been learning how to effectively practice and trying to add more speed in the meantime while I decide what to do next. I'm looking at a winter improvement package with someone so will take it from there if it's something I decide to go through with.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I decided against lessons in the end, and have been learning how to effectively practice and trying to add more speed in the meantime while I decide what to do next. I'm looking at a winter improvement package with someone so will take it from there if it's something I decide to go through with.
Out of interest...why are you going to try and do this?