ebay addiction

B

birdieman

Hi All,
Suffering ebay addiction, spent about 2 hours raking through the golf sections in UK and USA ebays last night, not even looking for anything in particular, sad I know. Over the last 4 years I reckon I have traded 15 sets of irons, piles of wedges, putters and drivers and no end of golf clothing. Just when I think I've found my perfect clubs I sell them to try something else. Never happy with my irons for more than 4 months, I find I play better with chunky cavity backs but I hate those same chunky clubs round the greens so end up swapping for blades or something and then back again. Have just landed a set of pristine Cally x-tours for £285 and am convinced these are the ones, alas I have heard that many times before. How can I stick with these and stop changing around? The postie thinks I'm a collector but I only ever have one set at a time. Am I a gear addict and do I need therapy? Does anyone else suffer like this?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Stick with blades - you know it makes sense.

One day you might find out how to hit them, but until then they are lovely to look at.

Buy a scotty too. (not mallet shaped, or odd looking detour, but a proper scotty).

Get a titleist 906 fairway too, another classic looking club.

And finally, buy loads of drivers all the time. Can't cure every thing.

B

birdieman

Hi Murph, thanks for that. I had a nice Scotty Newport2 last year but I sold it on as I always end up with a mallet again. Currently on a Scotty futura, with which I holed everything last Sunday, of course as soon as there's a card in my pocket that'll change! At least the Cally x-tours are forged and have the face size of a blade, really want to persevere with these. Grew up playing blades so can handle them ok but I have enjoyed more success with Ping I3's, Cleveland TA5's and the like.
Have a 905r with a 76g V2 shaft currently - this one I really like. Fantastic the clocks changing on Sunday past, opening match on Sunday, not before time!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just keep one set of cavity backs and one set of blades and then just alternate between them. I imagine that would be a lot cheaper than selling every set you buy and replacing them with new ones all the time!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey Birdieman,
I started off last season with a new set of Taylormade TP Combo's ... They looked so hot .............. I couldn't hit them for toffee, 6 weeks later got Cobra 2300 and am in love with them. I also had a Makser tw400, Callaway FT-3, Taylormade 300R, Titleist 983, and a Yonex Cyberstar all before prefered lies was out. This year my WIFE has warned me 'What you have got is what you are keeping' ... If only she looked in my garage.

B

birdieman

I hear you Madandra, fortunately the postie comes to my office rather than the house so I too can avoid being detected by 'her indoors' with yet another set of clubs in that unmistakebale long thin cardboard box.
To reply to muttleee I normally replace with 2nd hand clubs but seem to usually resell clubs for more than I paid, if you really hunt about on Ebay then do something as simple as regrip old clubs e.g.lamkin crossline from golfgripsdirect.com, people will pay more. Also if you buy midwinter then dont resell until the golf season you can clean up. I paid £170 for Ping I3 blades in September but resold them last month for £205.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Birdieman - just sold my old TA5s to golfbidder. Switched to blades last year, and love them so much I have just bought a second set, identical to the first set.(I needed a spare seven iron after hitting a brick buried in some leaves).

Have seen the forged callys, and they do look nice, apart from the top edge, which looks a bit thick for my taste.

Will change driver (TM quad) in April, if 907s are out while I am on Holiday in the states. Release date is the day I fly back, so might be a bit tight.

After this, I must keep my clubs, and stop looking at new ones all the time. Consistency must be the key. If Tiger has only ever had three putters, (and he can afford more, lets be honest), it should be good enough for me.

Sold my two ball recently too. Ugly looking thing.

B

birdieman

Had no end of 2-ball putters, cant fault them but they do look awful. That brick must've hurt! Top edge on Cally's is quite thick but not as bad as the x-16's!
Was tempted by Cleveland C44 tours, heard good things about them.
My latest buy is a set of 3 delacruz wedges from the US, just got stung £18 VAT by UK customs and excise, the feckers! Has anyone tried these out? I understand the company has folded but the price offered was too low to resist.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No, never have.

I was planning to check out the titleist spin milled series, but they don't do a 52, only a 54. this is too close to my sand wedge.

Hitting the brick was ok, except when I saw the damage it had done to my previously immaculate seven. Swore quite a bit then. Probably best not to repeat it.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Murph, can't you get someone to tweek the 54' to 52' ... Just dont hit a brick trying to adjust it ... Just got an Odessey NG and hate to admit it but I got a chubby one the first green when I sank a 20 footer.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, have thought of getting it tweaked when I come back. Will probably do this, as I play sometimes with a club fitter for the european tour. Only worried it might hit it a bit left, but I hope he knows his stuff.