Druids Glenn

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m going to have a short Easter break in Dublin and going to stay and play at Druids Glenn.

Has anyone stayed at hotel and played? what will it be like playing off 17 handicap which I am.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, played It a few years back. There are 2 courses at the hotel. Druids Glen is a short minibus ride away. It was in great nick when I played it. Takes driver out of your hands in places, and then becomes wide enough (to an extent) to rip it in others. If you get out of position on a couple of holes, expect to be punched in the face a little.

Are you definitely playing Druids Glen golf course, or Druids Heath? The Glen was closing for 12 months, starting in January…..

The Heath course is definitely the ‘easier’ of the two, and pretty friendly off the tee. Remember it being in pretty good nick, but can’t remember many of the holes - with the exception of the first!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m going to have a short Easter break in Dublin and going to stay and play at Druids Glenn.

Has anyone stayed at hotel and played? what will it be like playing off 17 handicap which I am.
Think it closed for the year mate they doing a complete refurb and upgrade of the course . Il try find the dates but course b closed for the year

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The glen course is absolutely fantastic.

Seen Sergio win his first pro tournament there in 1999 and got the chance to play it in glorious sunshine a couple of years ago.

It's fairly tight but not overly long off the tees we played off.

Beautiful set of par 3s. Brilliant day out.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes, played It a few years back. There are 2 courses at the hotel. Druids Glen is a short minibus ride away. It was in great nick when I played it. Takes driver out of your hands in places, and then becomes wide enough (to an extent) to rip it in others. If you get out of position on a couple of holes, expect to be punched in the face a little.

Are you definitely playing Druids Glen golf course, or Druids Heath? The Glen was closing for 12 months, starting in January…..

The Heath course is definitely the ‘easier’ of the two, and pretty friendly off the tee. Remember it being in pretty good nick, but can’t remember many of the holes - with the exception of the first!

Thanks for the information it was the Glenn I wanted to play so might have a rethink do you have any recommendations for a good course/ spar near Dublin.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think it closed for the year mate they doing a complete refurb and upgrade of the course . Il try find the dates but course b closed for the year

Thanks didn’t know the Glenn was closing for a year, as I asked Wabinez what courses/spar would you recommend near Dublin.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
not played them, but K Club? Carton House?

Thanks, having looked at them both I’m swayed towards the O’ Meara course at Carton House and looking at the scorecard and playing off the green tees it would suit me, I see it’s a Fairmont hotel and as I’ve stayed at the Fairmont at St Andrews I know of the quality

Also my misses is a non golfer and I think Carton House and gardens would be ideal.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks didn’t know the Glenn was closing for a year, as I asked Wabinez what courses/spar would you recommend near Dublin.

Ye your options are K club , 2 courses, both are enjoyable and choice of tees
Carton House , i love the o meara course , not a fan of the monty tho .
Have a look at Kilkea Castle 40/45mins south , 1 course, but alota good courses close by ( carlow, rathsallagh, athy , the hertage)if ur hiring a car , setting is lovely so relaxing , , can be bit pricey depending on what u going for , The Heritage resort in Laois is another ,

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
K Club is/was excellent. Only played the original course as that's how long ago it was.
Accommodation and other aspects (equestrian, fishing, dining - eating the trout you caught) top notch too. Expensive but was 'subsidised' by travel vouchers flying to/from work.

Zig

Visit site
Have played the European Club just south of Dublin... top class! Stayed 10 mins away at Arklow Bay Conf/Spa. Can't comment on the spa facilities as we didn't use them, but the Guinness was good, as was the food. Was basically in and out each day to play golf. Hard to find many golf courses better in the part of Ireland though. ;)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have played the European Club just south of Dublin... top class! Stayed 10 mins away at Arklow Bay Conf/Spa. Can't comment on the spa facilities as we didn't use them, but the Guinness was good, as was the food. Was basically in and out each day to play golf. Hard to find many golf courses better in the part of Ireland though. ;)
Quality course . Playing it Saturday again ,
Could add Arklow GC for a second Round

Reactions: Zig

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ye your options are K club , 2 courses, both are enjoyable and choice of tees
Carton House , i love the o meara course , not a fan of the monty tho .
Have a look at Kilkea Castle 40/45mins south , 1 course, but alota good courses close by ( carlow, rathsallagh, athy , the hertage)if ur hiring a car , setting is lovely so relaxing , , can be bit pricey depending on what u going for , The Heritage resort in Laois is another ,

Thanks for taking the time for recommendations, going to fly in to Dublin and get a taxi to Carlton House staying 2 nights and playing the O’Meara course then 2 nights in Dublin itself, that should make a good break.

I’ve been watching Golfs greatest holes on sky which has been on courses around Ireland and wetted my appetite and as we’ve always wanted to go to Dublin for a city break this seemed the right time to go.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Thanks for the reply, my home course is links and I’ve played plenty of them and although you have some of the best links courses in the world I would rather play a parkland course.
But I’m sure the Guinness will be good ?

Reactions: Zig

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time for recommendations, going to fly in to Dublin and get a taxi to Carlton House staying 2 nights and playing the O’Meara course then 2 nights in Dublin itself, that should make a good break.

I’ve been watching Golfs greatest holes on sky which has been on courses around Ireland and wetted my appetite and as we’ve always wanted to go to Dublin for a city break this seemed the right time to go.
Great stuff you will realy enjoy it lovely course 14 15 16 are lovely holes . Enjoy Dublin just remember its not real Ireland an the rest of us are sound ??