Driving without reasonable consideration

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd go as far as to have to have a refresher lesson every 5 years to tidy up your driving. Used to think test but the logistics of tests seem hard enough.

Too many people see driving as a right and not a privilege
And a compulsory ’refresher’ kind of lesson for people like me who converted foreign licenses into a UK one wouldn’t be wrong either.

But in general a lesson every 5 years would be good, getting a lot of people out of middle lanes and to merge properly where lanes combine …

Like pilots have to get their hours done.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This has been one of the best threads on here for a long time.

The reasons being were:

1. No arguing
2. people allowed to express a point of view without being belittled by an opposite view.
3. People offered the OP advice and whilst others had a different view it was expressed in a succinct way.
4. It was informative and having an ex bobby gave an insight and balanced perspective.
5. I learnt as the other month I cut across a cyclist when he was going straight on and I was turning left. He had been awkward not allowing me to overtake when he could have. In the end he shouted something end and I asked my wife what she thought. She said I was in the wrong. Lesson learnt.
6. Whilst the OP may have been hard done by, on balance of probabilities, I feel he would have taken the outcome when he received the notice initially.
7 . Some of the more argumentative members were not involved.
8. Just hope The OP is relieved as he must have been worried

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And a compulsory ’refresher’ kind of lesson for people like me who converted foreign licenses into a UK one wouldn’t be wrong either.

But in general a lesson every 5 years would be good, getting a lot of people out of middle lanes and to merge properly where lanes combine …

Like pilots have to get their hours done.
I put this very question to the Chief Examiner of the DVSA about 15 odd years ago.
I remember say ing to my Old Man when I passed my test that I couldn't quite believe that was it for 50 years....
The answer I got was two-fold...
1. Cost
People would have to be trained to give these refresher courses/tests and there would have to be enough to enable every driver to have one every 5/10 years..
Given that there are approximately 35 million drivers that equates, on the 5 year test, about 19000 assessments every day including Xmas...pushing 3000 people.
They can't get enough examiners to cover L tests so there's no way on earth they'd find another 3000.
2. It would take too many people off the road....yep that's what she said.
It would hit industries as, obviously, some wouldn't be up to scratch and being unable to drive would severely hamper their work and lifestyle

I can accept #1. Its a fair argument
#2 my answer was.....and that's a problem because...?
I didn't get an answer...
That's why we don't get a retest/assessment.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put this very question to the Chief Examiner of the DVSA about 15 odd years ago.
I remember say ing to my Old Man when I passed my test that I couldn't quite believe that was it for 50 years....
The answer I got was two-fold...
1. Cost
People would have to be trained to give these refresher courses/tests and there would have to be enough to enable every driver to have one every 5/10 years..
Given that there are approximately 35 million drivers that equates, on the 5 year test, about 19000 assessments every day including Xmas...pushing 3000 people.
They can't get enough examiners to cover L tests so there's no way on earth they'd find another 3000.
2. It would take too many people off the road....yep that's what she said.
It would hit industries as, obviously, some wouldn't be up to scratch and being unable to drive would severely hamper their work and lifestyle

I can accept #1. Its a fair argument
#2 my answer was.....and that's a problem because...?
I didn't get an answer...
That's why we don't get a retest/assessment.

I'm surprised considering the way of the world it hasn't been found a way to do refreshers (not tests)

Gives driving instructor a steady income

Gives the government another layer of cost in as I'm sure they would put a £20 fee to have your licence renewed as it would of course have to be.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This has been one of the best threads on here for a long time.

The reasons being were:

1. No arguing
2. people allowed to express a point of view without being belittled by an opposite view.
3. People offered the OP advice and whilst others had a different view it was expressed in a succinct way.
4. It was informative and having an ex bobby gave an insight and balanced perspective.
5. I learnt as the other month I cut across a cyclist when he was going straight on and I was turning left. He had been awkward not allowing me to overtake when he could have. In the end he shouted something end and I asked my wife what she thought. She said I was in the wrong. Lesson learnt.
6. Whilst the OP may have been hard done by, on balance of probabilities, I feel he would have taken the outcome when he received the notice initially.
7 . Some of the more argumentative members were not involved.
8. Just hope The OP is relieved as he must have been worried

When it comes to driving there is no perfect and everyone could do with improvement

You can be 100% right and still have an accident and you can be 100% wrong and avoid one

Keeping vigilant and up to date with changes is one of the most important battles to keep everyone on the roads safe

Whilst I agree the police seem annoying here by acting as judge and jury However I think we need MORE courses offered to people rather than fines and points

Nobody learns from points

We also need people to see driving as a privilege, too many people get 12 points and get let off by the judge (of the ban) rather than correctly being banned for being a danger

Surely 6 points on your licence you start taking note and slowing down

I personally had 6 points in my first 2 years (accident and was done for driving without due care) because it was first 2 years I lost my licence had to do it all again

It also meant that I was just 6 points away from a ban when I got my licence back 3 months later

I got 3 points quickly after lol 🤣 hands up I thought the road was 40 and was doing 35 .. was surprised when pulled over

Since then (this was 2005?) I haven't had a point on my licence (have had a course)

I found the course so informative and served as a refresher for my test

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s largely down to attitudes.

In itself driving is not a difficult skill, but an individual’s attitude has a huge impact on their ability. I hope Imurg won’t take offence when I say that I’m not sure we teach people to drive in the UK - we teach them to pass a test.

Those who take responsibility for their own development once they have passed go on to be good drivers. Those who don’t generally don’t fare quite so well.

I have a golfing mate who considers himself a good driver. He isn’t. He has said any number of times about the speed awareness course “It’s really good - I’ve done four, so I know.”

If he didn’t learn after the first couple that really speaks volumes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

In itself driving is not a difficult skill, but an individual’s attitude has a huge impact on their ability. I hope Imurg won’t take offence when I say that I’m not sure we teach people to drive in the UK - we teach them to pass a test.

Those who take responsibility for their own development once they have passed go on to be good drivers. Those who don’t generally don’t fare quite so well.

I have a golfing mate who considers himself a good driver. He isn’t. He has said any number of times about the speed awareness course “It’s really good - I’ve done four, so I know.”

Say what you like about it Billy...I'm out of it
But you're right
Many, many instructors teach the kids to pass the test.
I always taught them to drive...while other ADIs were hammering the parallel park for hours on end I'd be taking the kids on dual carriageways, country lanes, trips out to Oxford and back..real driving.
The test is insufficient in my view, especially since the use of Sat-Nav in the Independent Driving section.
Follow the Sat-Nav for 20 minutes...turn left, turn right, 3rd exit etc etc
Exactly as the Examiner says it.
Previously they had to follow signs.
Follow signs to the Railway Station....they had to look for the sign, work out which way to go, work out which lane to be in and then do it..
Real driving..
Glad I'm out of it....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I did my advanced for my bike licence. What a revelation! The skills you‘re taught on the advanced are mind blowing, stuff you’ve never even thought of. I’d absolutely recommend people do the advanced. I’ve also had the odd assessed ride, being followed by a Police motorcyclist - very revealing.

That said, with 48yrs of riding and driving I’m not the best of drivers. Probably complacency seeps in occasionally. I’m not sure a refresher would work as people would concentrate under those circumstances. Equally, how else could an experienced driver be assessed?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I did my advanced for my bike licence. What a revelation! The skills you‘re taught on the advanced are mind blowing, stuff you’ve never even thought of. I’d absolutely recommend people do the advanced. I’ve also had the odd assessed ride, being followed by a Police motorcyclist - very revealing.

That said, with 48yrs of riding and driving I’m not the best of drivers. Probably complacency seeps in occasionally. I’m not sure a refresher would work as people would concentrate under those circumstances. Equally, how else could an experienced driver be assessed?

It’s often difficult for me to judge, Brian, because I do still have a tendency to regard driving through the eyes of someone who was trained to advanced level in the police. The requirements to pass that test 25 years ago were ridiculous, mainly from the perspective of bend assessment and advanced observations.

I remember one of my first drives on a 4-week course, out on an B road in the countryside. The instructor asked me what colour the approaching lorry was. “What lorry?”, replied a rather bemused Billy.

Whilst I was looking about 200 yards ahead he was scanning half a mile away across the tops of the hedgerows.

By some distance the best course I ever did, and I learned more about car control from half a day at a skid pan than I would ever learn in a lifetime on the road. If that was ever included in the basic civilian driving instruction prior to test it would cut the number of collisions at a stroke.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just came down the M62 into Liverpool.
Massive tailback for a three car pile up.
once past this I could not belive the speed some of the drivers were doing.
It was pissing down and the road was flooded in the tyre ruts.
It was like a F1 start once they got past the accident.
The problem with driving is the nut behind the wheel.

Maybe a retest every 10yrs when your photo licence is due to start with.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t see the point of retests, as we have already heard and know, people drive to past the test not how they might normally drive. The only deterrent I see that works is greater police numbers out cruising on patrol
Perhpas a more determined deterrent would be the allowance of only 1 license per life.
Loose your license and never be allowed to get it back, no excuses, no appeal.
To back that up, build a new prison and mandatory 2 year prison sentence for driving without a license.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was gonna post this on the random irrations thread but just sums up today's standards of driving

I go off to post something after my round of golf..out in the big car so for reference it's a mpv it's huge

Parked on the drive of the post office, done my parcel come out a lady has blocked me in with her bf in the seat, I start up , put reversing lights on they do nothing

So I just move back slightly. She goes mental with the horn (I'm a metre away) I've managed to turn an entire mpv around and get off without touching her car or the fence of the post office

Her bf gives me the watching you fingers , ok .. so you illegally parked , I manage to move my car legally without even touching your car and I'm in the wrong?

Smile and wave

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Was gonna post this on the random irrations thread but just sums up today's standards of driving

I go off to post something after my round of golf..out in the big car so for reference it's a mpv it's huge

Parked on the drive of the post office, done my parcel come out a lady has blocked me in with her bf in the seat, I start up , put reversing lights on they do nothing

So I just move back slightly. She goes mental with the horn (I'm a metre away) I've managed to turn an entire mpv around and get off without touching her car or the fence of the post office

Her bf gives me the watching you fingers , ok .. so you illegally parked , I manage to move my car legally without even touching your car and I'm in the wrong?

Smile and wave

I had something similar a few weeks ago. Missus and I took the kids to the park and got back to the car to find the car on the passenger side had left about a foot - not enough to get our two year old into her seat.

I got in and half reversed out, just enough so that the missus could open the rear door and get the littlun in but with plenty of room to get around the back if you were driving through the car park.

Next thing i know this bloke has stopped in a little polo and other cars start lining up behind him. One of the following cars beeps and then the bloke in the polo starts leaning on his horn and leans out the window to shout at my missus to effing hurry up and called her all sorts whilst she's fighting to get the straps around the two year old (who's crying as she didn't want to leave).

My mental health isn't great at the moment and this was really out of character for me and not something I'm proud of but something in me just snapped. I opened the car door, got out and started marching over to him (not really sure what I would have done tbf, probably a few stern words). The guy just melted into his seat and was suddenly able to get his car round the back of ours and sped off through the car park.

Absolute chopper. Why would anyone think it's acceptable to give a load of abuse to a woman clearly struggling with a child? Especially since he obviously thought she was alone.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just filled up with petrol at the local supermarket filling station. On my way home, and about a half mile away from said supermarket is a 🔔end on his mountain bike wobbling all over the place holding up the traffic. He’s only got his shopping bags balanced on each side of his handlebars. Absolute tool.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'd go as far as to have to have a refresher lesson every 5 years to tidy up your driving. Used to think test but the logistics of tests seem hard enough.

Too many people see driving as a right and not a privilege
Agree, but who would do the lesson? If you're talking ADIs, then I am afraid that is very hit and miss. As for the DVSA (the guys who run driving tests), they struggle to recruit enough people for a variety of reasons.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I would go for a driving assessment every 10 years. Basically a drive of 30-40 minutes with an examiner, and they tell you at the end what you need to work on and what you're doing well. They'll only ask you to come back for a re-test if you are particularly bad.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Having seen the amount of planks on the rd this last few days that won’t get a fine or points awarded, I am of the ilk it’s a lottery re if and when you may get done.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I find it mad how many people are driving without licenses. I know this from my job.

And another real glitch - international licenses. You can learn to drive in a country where you can pass a test whilst being blind drunk, and you can then drive over here for a year with no questions asked. Absolutely crazy in terms of road safety, imo.

sunshine

Visit site

Some people are just really thick and don’t learn. You see it all the time (not just driving), some people just have a mindset where they’re not prepared to learn.