Driving Iron / Hybrid or Wood?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
So you are about to tee off on a short (ish) par 4
Danger down both sides, maybe a dog leg.
You need a reliable 200 yard club that you just know will go straight 99% of the time.
What do you use?
A Driving Iron / Wood or a Hybrid?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put your big boy pants on and drive the green. Sure, you might get it wrong and take a 10 but if you get it right you can brag about it for months.

Competition mode.

Driving iron. Every time. Maybe even knock it down a little, keep it arrow straight and let the run out dictate the distance.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
195 would be a 6i for me

when I played Bearwood Lakes, there is a short part 4 with water down the left side. Though I would play it safe and hit 6i, hooked left into the water, annoyed got the driver out, hit it to 10 feet from the pin and came away with a par

Albo

Visit site
I can get the majority of my clubs to go straight pulled left 95% of the time. Nothing 99%
I’d take my 2i though. Chances are it could go 220 on a good day or 140 on a bad day but I believe in it more so than 5w which would be the other option and I don’t know why as I hit 5w better.
Maybe I need to have a word with myself after typing that out. That’s honestly my thought process, I’d take 2i but hit 5w better. The hell is wrong with me

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the hole is that short why do you need 200 yards?

If it is a dogleg I would work out the maximum distance before getting in to trouble and use a club for that on the simple basis that the times I hit a club at my very best distance are few and far between, most times it would be on the short side.

For me 180 yards is a rescue and 220 yards is a 3 wood (except when it is very cold like now).

Jason.H

Visit site
For me my hybrids are fairway finders. I’d like a driving iron but the hybrids are far more versatile, so easy from the rough too.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Given my ability to hit said clubs I’d play 10yards shorter than that and use my utility iron. Did this very example two weeks ago and hit it perfect. Duffed my second, thinned 3rd through the green, chipped on short and 3 putted! ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I am not too sure that I have the swing speed to properly launch a driving iron?
I don't want to waste a lot of money on a new club that won't suit me.
So I have ordered a very nice condition driving iron (Mizuno Hi Fli 3 Iron) from Ebay at a bargain price
I will soon see if it works.