Driveway

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi chaps I need a new drive done and was wondering about resin drives,has any had one done? Good and bad points. Or any builders on here with best ideas please.
Atb franko

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been looking at drive types. currently mine is not big enough and is part block paved. What i understand of resin, is you get what you pay for and professional installation is key. as is the prep work, ie it wont last being bound to concrete, it must go on a porous base etc. Also there are question marks over its longevity of high traffic use. Personally I am torn between tarmac and block pave. Although i still may go gravel! LOL I used to be indecisive!

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes must admit it's doing my swede in! Block paving always gets weeds and not sure about Tarmac as if we get a hot summer it's prone to mark if anything sharp is put on the drive!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes must admit it's doing my swede in! Block paving always gets weeds and not sure about Tarmac as if we get a hot summer it's prone to mark if anything sharp is put on the drive!

Hmm my new gaff has block paving as i said and i have no weeds, i would say its been laid for at least 15 years too. A bit of moss in places, but that's easy to treat..

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have gravel, its great, holes etc, easy ad more gravel. only downside is weeds, but if you keep on top of it its fine.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have gravel, its great, holes etc, easy ad more gravel. only downside is weeds, but if you keep on top of it its fine.

only thing putting me off gravel is the inevitable spill toward the road/pavement. not sure i can be arsed to sweep it back every weekend! I know i could just fit a decent brick or block border, but hey, im lazy!

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
only thing putting me off gravel is the inevitable spill toward the road/pavement. not sure i can be arsed to sweep it back every weekend! I know i could just fit a decent brick or block border, but hey, im lazy!
I'm the same way myself! And the sound does my head in when it's walked on.

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had 1st quote of 3200 for resin and 2500 for block paving of same bloke. Strange how the resin is more expensive then block.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What size are the drives, square meters and what's on it now that's needs coming up?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our drive is block paved and it's been down about 7 years.

It's been fine until quite recently roots from the very tall nearby trees are pushing the drive up from underneath

The good news is that I should be able to lift the blocks, level the sub base and re lay the blocks . Something to bear in mind if the driveway becomes uneven in the future.

Yes you do get weeds occasionally but nothing a good weed killer won't sort out.

Gravel becomes a cat litter but great for security.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just had 1st quote of 3200 for resin and 2500 for block paving of same bloke. Strange how the resin is more expensive then block.

My mate who does block paving says he charges on average £55 - £60 m2, I'm waiting for a resin cost, but block paving for 30m2 would only be £1800, your quote is steep 😳

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Maybe southern prices?

We don't find that with our rendering & plastering and we do s lot of work in and around London and the Home Counties, there is that much competition that prices become driven down, so it's still possibly steep dependent on the m2 of his drive.

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
Got 2 more prices to come in yet and one of the blokes did my outlaws house which is wider for 2200 so hoping for 2000 . Which tbh I will take to get the wife off my case!