Drivers below 9 degrees anyone?

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Does anyone use a driver with a loft of less than 9.5 degrees?

I much prefer a lower flight on my drives. Have switched to a 909 D3 9.5 driver which is much better than my old Cleveland flight wise, and has a mid launching shaft. It's still flying a wee bit too high for my liking though, although it's very straight for me. I have to deal with serious winds at my course, so low is the only option

To be honest i think it's just modern drivers, they all seem to be designed to get the ball high and straight.

Just interested to see if anyone uses an 8.5 or 8, and how it affects ball flight.

Thanks

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about a different shaft?

Edit:

I have a 909 D3 with a proper diamana blue 73gm shaft which is a proper daisy cutter, the only problem for me is I need to swing out my shoes to use it :( :(

granters

Q-School Graduate
I use the stock s flex Voodoo. Had the option of the diamana blue and should have gone for it. I'd always considered myself fairly average distance wise but i think i probably hit it quite long compared to most folk (was away from the game for a long time!)

I love the 909, best driver i've ever owned but would love to hit it just a little lower. Definitely something to consider for my next driver

Thanks

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a proper shaft and not a "made for" effort cost me €140 for the upgrade :( If you were closer you could have it for a while to try....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have the 910 D3 with 8.5 degrees, though do sometimes have it adjusted up to 9.25. Ultimately all about getting the right ball flight from the swing and keeping it lower usually the aim for me

granters

Q-School Graduate
This is a proper shaft and not a "made for" effort cost me €140 for the upgrade :( If you were closer you could have it for a while to try....

Cheers for the thought anyway! Kicking myself slightly for not going for it but heyho it's not the end of the world. Like i say, i hit the driver well and never missed a single fairway last round, but when the wind gets up at my place it's a punch 1 iron off the tee!

Fundy, may well invest in a 910 next season. Starting to realize the advantages of adjustables now

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Cheers for the thought anyway! Kicking myself slightly for not going for it but heyho it's not the end of the world. Like i say, i hit the driver well and never missed a single fairway last round, but when the wind gets up at my place it's a punch 1 iron off the tee!

Fundy, may well invest in a 910 next season. Starting to realize the advantages of adjustables now

Since fitting Ive adjusted it twice, think I have set as I will leave it for now, though turn it down to 8.5 on windier days, if buying the key is still getting the right shaft

granters

Q-School Graduate
I'm going to get fitted etc over the winter. I suspect i have a higher swing speed than i thought. It's still all pretty new to me. I used to just buy some clubs and get on with it back in the days of black and white

cheers for the thoughts

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have the 910 D3 with 8.5 degrees, though do sometimes have it adjusted up to 9.25. Ultimately all about getting the right ball flight from the swing and keeping it lower usually the aim for me

Your driver is the biz. Defo need that shaft. Albeit doesn't go quite as far in my hands. eBay here we come.

T

thecraw

You could get a 12 degree driver and hit it lower than your current 9.5 degree driver if you get the launch angle, RPM shaft etc correct with a proper custom fit.

For what its worth I also thought the 909 was Derek Whyte!

granters

Q-School Graduate
You could get a 12 degree driver and hit it lower than your current 9.5 degree driver if you get the launch angle, RPM shaft etc correct with a proper custom fit.

For what its worth I also thought the 909 was Derek Whyte!

I hear ya Craw, but i honestly think it's an awesome driver! If it wasn't so fecking windy at Irvine it would be perfect. Like i say, I'm not really complaining about it, i'd just ideally like it to fly slightly lower

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have a titleist 907 8.5* with grafalloy pro launch red shaft, it's a low launch shaft as well, ideal for wind with a good launch then penetrating flight. I tried the 910 on a windy day and man did it balloon.

Look at the 907 it's about £90 second hand on golf bidder, let my pro try it and he loved the way it sets up, he's now using one!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a titleist 907 8.5* with grafalloy pro launch red shaft, it's a low launch shaft as well, ideal for wind with a good launch then penetrating flight.

I'll second that shaft. Had them in my G10/G15's and even the 5 wood stayed well low.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to have a 8.5* Taylor Made R580,with a stiff Grafalloy Prolite shaft.
Could hit it high,low,left or right,and comfortably the longest driver i've ever owned.
Yet i've had higher lofted drivers,with higher launching shafts,that i simply couldn't get up into the air ?

stanleyboy

Club Champion
Visit site
What's your h/cap and do you know how to adapt your swing to hit the ball lower ?

Bob, I dont know how to do that Bob and have been trying clubbing up and a half punch swing which usually results in my shots leaking to the right!
Any advice?

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the 9 degree R11 adjusted to 8 degrees. I need it due to the fact I hit the ball way too high (still launch it at 14 degrees which is still too high, but the lower loft has helped.)

I had a 9.5 degrees i15 before and I would say the difference in the ball flight is huge. I get a relatively lower and more consistent flight shape with the R11 and a lot more distance, which holds me up better in the wind. However the downside is that I have lost a bit of accuracy, due in part to the extra distance and in part to the fact that with less backspin on the ball due to the lower loft, the effect of any sidespin on the ball is magnified. (Hooks hooking more and slices slicing more)

I think an important factor when deciding what loft to get is your spin rate, which can only be measured on a launch monitor, so probably best to get custom fitted and tell them that you are after a lower ball flight and try to figure out the best way of bringing the ballflight down...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What's your h/cap and do you know how to adapt your swing to hit the ball lower ?

Bob, I dont know how to do that Bob and have been trying clubbing up and a half punch swing which usually results in my shots leaking to the right!
Any advice?

Sounds as if your body is getting ahead of the ball in your effort to keep it low. That means the hands are left playing catch up and cant