Driver

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
Been having some huge trouble with my driver recently. On the course I can push shots about 50 yards right of where I am aiming. These are normally push fades, start right and then curve more to the right.

Went to the range the other day and was hitting more pushes but also had lots of drives where I skied them, hitting the crown of the club leaving a sky mark.

It's got me thinking that I have started to have a negative angle of attack with the driver when previously I had a positive AOA and was driving well.

Here's a video of at the range the other day http://youtu.be/RXsxn-1Dj-c

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would tee the ball a little higher and play it a little more forward in my stance, those range tees are notoriously low and cause a lot of issues (steep AofA being one, open face (to get the ball airborne) being another).

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been having some huge trouble with my driver recently. On the course I can push shots about 50 yards right of where I am aiming. These are normally push fades, start right and then curve more to the right.

Went to the range the other day and was hitting more pushes but also had lots of drives where I skied them, hitting the crown of the club leaving a sky mark.

It's got me thinking that I have started to have a negative angle of attack with the driver when previously I had a positive AOA and was driving well.

Here's a video of at the range the other day http://youtu.be/RXsxn-1Dj-c

Ideally with driver you want the top (crown) of the club around level with the equator of ball, that ways gives you the best opportunity of having good center contact with an upward swing through impact. (+AoA) Would have been useful to see swing from face on too. A good ball position (but teed up height as mentioned) with the driver is to have the ball opposite the left armpit, better to use this as a marker than the position in stance re- feet, as folks have different stance widths.

Would work to try to keep the swing at top of backswing not going a good ways past parallel as this makes it a good ways more difficult to time your downswing sequence for solid contact, also a bigger overswing usually leads to bigger effort to generate speed you then are not quite in control of so affects the balance & strike some.

In an effort to get club to ball you standing up a little ways coming into impact also this pulling you out on the toes some so the hands moving into impact a little further away from you giving you the slightly nearer the heel strike.
This out on the toes also why you having a little trouble staying stable at the end of the swing, in this swing.

Lots of good things going on with your moves, bit of fine tuning should give you some more consistent strikes, so results.

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
Ideally with driver you want the top (crown) of the club around level with the equator of ball, that ways gives you the best opportunity of having good center contact with an upward swing through impact. (+AoA) Would have been useful to see swing from face on too. A good ball position (but teed up height as mentioned) with the driver is to have the ball opposite the left armpit, better to use this as a marker than the position in stance re- feet, as folks have different stance widths.

Would work to try to keep the swing at top of backswing not going a good ways past parallel as this makes it a good ways more difficult to time your downswing sequence for solid contact, also a bigger overswing usually leads to bigger effort to generate speed you then are not quite in control of so affects the balance & strike some.

In an effort to get club to ball you standing up a little ways coming into impact also this pulling you out on the toes some so the hands moving into impact a little further away from you giving you the slightly nearer the heel strike.
This out on the toes also why you having a little trouble staying stable at the end of the swing, in this swing.

Lots of good things going on with your moves, bit of fine tuning should give you some more consistent strikes, so results.

Coach, funny you should say that about heel strikes. Lately I have been hitting my driver and some other clubs off the heel, almost right by the shaft. What can I do to prevent this? Put weight on heels instead of balls of feet?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coach, funny you should say that about heel strikes. Lately I have been hitting my driver and some other clubs off the heel, almost right by the shaft. What can I do to prevent this? Put weight on heels instead of balls of feet?

It's all kinda part of the same problem you had before. Like I said some good motion & intention going on with what your doing. A couple of things to focus on which should help you.
{you don't want to fee you put wait on the heels & sit back in the back swing, as back to physics -every action has a reaction: the most likely reaction to this is to exacerbate the issue by having the reaction as you swing down to put the weight more on the toes}

Weight gets transfered back to the right because golf is mostly a rotary motion. So you're turning into your right hip socket so weight then goes to inside of right foot as you keep your posture & retain some right knee flex, at top of the backswing (don't overswing any) the weight is still into the inside of right foot & favoring the right heel.

Then at transition you have weight pressure first 'downwards' into the ground the left thigh & left knee then re-rotates back towards target as you stay in posture towards impact you'll then feel your weight as the left hip turns & clears over the left leg favoring into the left heel.

Have a look at this vid listen to what he says about 'how' & 'why' the weight shifts.
I'll put another couple of vids up one a drill you can do with a range chair.

[video=youtube_share;xvhgZW8LnM0]http://youtu.be/xvhgZW8LnM0[/video]