Driver Shaft Length

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know theres been a lot of posts on shaft lengths but just wanted to know how many of you have reduced the length of your stock driver shafts.

I read online that a lot of touring pros have a 44 inch driver give or take half inch, how can it be that Taylormade are sticking 46.5 inches in their Burners?

I took my old driver down to 45.75 inches and its helped a lot, I now have a Superfast Burner and contemplating taking 2 inches of it. I'm about 5ft 10. I think 44 or 44.5 is better than 46.5!!!

Whats your experience with shafts that are way too long?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I cut my Wilson Spine down to 45" in line with every other driver I've used used since 2009.
Much better.
More centre-of-face hits, more straight results. :)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cut my Wilson Spine down to 45" in line with every other driver I've used used since 2009.
Much better.
More centre-of-face hits, more straight results. :)

Thanks, out of interest how tall are you? even some of the taller pros (6ft 2 plus) have shorter driver shafts than what we pick up from the shop.

is it any wonder that we cant control tee shots half of the time?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Standard shaft length on the 910 is 45".
You'll hit the ball further with a longer shaft but the chances of a good enough connection are much smaller. The shorter shaft means you will hit it better more often and you'll gain yards overall. A longer shaft decreases accuracy for the same reasons.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Standard shaft length on the 910 is 45".
You'll hit the ball further with a longer shaft but the chances of a good enough connection are much smaller. The shorter shaft means you will hit it better more often and you'll gain yards overall. A longer shaft decreases accuracy for the same reasons.

According to a post online Bubba uses a shaft 44.5" long and he's 6ft 3" tall. My shaft length might be coming down to 43.5" at this rate!!!

Its no coincidence that a lesson with my pro the other day got me to swing more upright. I reckon clubs that are too long will encourage a flatter swing or standing too far from the ball.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks, out of interest how tall are you? even some of the taller pros (6ft 2 plus) have shorter driver shafts than what we pick up from the shop.

6' spot on. Then again, Ronnie Corbett uses a full length driver... :)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey the driver must be nearly as tall him :D

I took the driver from 46.5 to 44.5 this evening and applied 2 wraps of tape.

I can choke down on the club an inch or so to make some fine adjustment but choking down 3 inches would have been a bit silly. :D

First test run tomorrow.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's alot of sense in what your saying Sawtooth...
I read an article in Golf World recently and it was all about Pro's equipment...Very informative...
Apparently Paul Macginley uses one of the smallest shafts on tour at 43" and he says it gives him more control but also more clubhead speed....In contrast to this 'Ol Miguel Angel uses a 46" shaft which is one of the longest....

Personal choice really.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stock shafts are made at the higher end lengths because when amateur golfers like you and me pick it up, smash a good drive with good distance we buy the club. Manufacturers aren't stupid when it comes to makin money.

Your right through. Most of the tour pro's reduce the length of their longer clubs (driver/woods) because as it's been said already, the longer the club the harder to make consistent strike.