Driver shaft help

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys, maybe a subject for Ethan but everyones opinion is welcome. As you can see from my profile I have a Ping K15 driver. I love this driver but the height I get with it is mad and spin is crazy, I get hardly any role at all(5 yards max). I generate a large amount of spin with all my clubs and have no problem stopping a 6 iron dead with a 2 piece ball, not a problem with my irons but it is with a driver. I dont know my swing speed but would guesstimate 90mph as I hit a driver 220 yards and a 7 iron 145-150yards. The tfc 149 shaft just feels to squidgy to me and feels I am overloading it. I can hit misses left or right on a bad day. Ive had a lesson with my pro and he says I am hitting the ball well and on the up but feels it is the shaft causing me issues. He has recommended a Rombax 6x07 shaft in regular but he wants to measure my swing speed first etc. Is this a good shaft to lower height a bit and spin or should I look elsewhere?. Going to organise a fitting soon but dont like going blind into these things.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of your stats are nearly identical to mine matey not related are we!! Don't kmow about the shaft you mention but I have used the K15 before and the ball does go way up into the air which it is designed to do. I found it way to high for me so decided to look elsewhere. Definitely sounds like the shaft is an issue to me. Have to say though that club is the hardest to slice I have ever hit. No matter how hard I tried I could not slice it!!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you have got 2 options here mate. I noticed you have a high handicap, how do you get on with the driver? It is always a good idea to get fitted for any your clubs to make sure they are correct for you. But if you hit the driver with little consistency then getting fitted so you can find an exact shaft may not work. So it may be worth waiting until you do get more consistency. If you are hitting a reasonably consistent shot then go get something that is suited to you. I would always recommend your local pro first, as I do not always trust the golf superstores when it comes to things like this.

But ask on the forum and let people know what area you live in, someone is bound to know of somewhere that is good for custom fitting and will sort you out. Good luck and I hope it sorts out your driving issues.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good that the pro says he wants to measure your swing speed first.

The TFC149 is a fairly soft shaft and the Rombax, which is an excellent shaft, will be a good bit stronger. Your swing speed estimate sounds reasonable, so on the face of it a Rombax in R might work well. Only reliable way to know is with some testing though.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers guys, was just looking for an insight as I like to research anything before spendng £££'s. My driving is/was a very good part of my game, its my short game and course management that loses me 10-15 shots a round.