Driver shaft flexibility.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure what information is relevant to my question but:
I'm a high handicapper who's managed to turn a slice into a fairly well controlled fade off the tee.
I recently saw a photograph of me teeing off with my driver - the club was on the downswing and I was quite surprised to see the amount of flex in the shaft.
I'm just on the second of ten lessons in which we've focused on my swing with my (stiff shaft) 6 iron and I'm managing to successfully adapt to the lessons by hitting straighter and longer.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]However, my Pro has suggested that I may need a stiff shaft on my driver on the basis that the flexible shaft means that the club face isn't returning to the ball in the position I addressed it.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Any advice?[/FONT]
[/FONT]

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
a) Photographs can lie.
b) Low handicappers can hit the ball straight with a Dunlop driver
c) Consider a shaft fitting session but don't expect to hit a high draw after it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could be that you don't have a suitable shaft, but changing a slice into a soft fade will require more than a shaft change, because a slice invariably means swing issues. Ignore the misleading photo evidence and look at where the ball goes. Does it go high?

What driver and shaft and what irons and shaft do you have?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As the others have said, ignore the photo.

It's an illusion created by the way a digital camera scans the image.

I'm guessing Tiger has the right shaft for him......... :)

tigers10.jpg

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say that your camera is not quick enough, it will be showing you an effect calling "rolling Shutter"

Taken from wiki: Rolling shutter is a method of image acquisition in which each frame is recorded not from a snapshot of a single point in time, but rather by scanning across the frame either vertically or horizontally. In other words, not all parts of the image are recorded at exactly the same time, even though the whole frame is displayed at the same time during playback. This produces predictable distortions of fast-moving objects or when the sensor captures rapid flashes of light. This is in contrast with global shutter in which the entire frame is exposed for the same time window.

In basic terms, the image is too quick for the camera, so it does its best in creating the sharpest image it can in the time it has, what you see on the screen, was not from the same precise millisecond.

Have a look at google images searching "rolling shutter golf" https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...SKhQf2soCAAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=642

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Only if they let the brand name affect their attitude imo!

I've seen a demo of Pro's hitting straight drives with Ladies and A Flex shafts. In fact their 'best' drives were with the softest shafts.

My post had nothing to do with Dunlop drivers more that not every low handicap is a straight driver:rolleyes:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alot of folk blame their driver for hooks, slices, fades and so on. Just be mindfull that a new driver will not transform your driving. It may help a little but a slice is a slice no matter what your holding in your hands. After all its the indian not the arrow.

Also flex effects trajectory more than dispersion. however, high and left ball flight MIGHT mean too soft and low and right usually means too stiff

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Could be that you don't have a suitable shaft, but changing a slice into a soft fade will require more than a shaft change, because a slice invariably means swing issues. Ignore the misleading photo evidence and look at where the ball goes. Does it go high?

What driver and shaft and what irons and shaft do you have?

First of all thanks for all replies.
Driver is a Callaway Diablo Edge (10 degree)
Shaft says Habanero 60R?

Irons are TM Burner OS2

(In a previous lesson I was also told that a greater loft would benefit me - no sales pressure though)

With lessons I've managed to reduce a bad slice to a "manageable" fade and occasional straight shots so I know my swing and stance were at fault and still need work.
(Height isn't an issue when I hit a good 'un.)
It's just the matter of shaft stiffness that is "beyond my ken"