Driver Problems - This ones tricky!

MickCTR

Medal Winner
Visit site
Right, i've gone and done something silly! I was in Discount Golf the other day and got the chance of a Cobra X Series driver for a bit of a bargain. Anyway, I hit about a dozen shots in the nets and was very impressed so I bought it. I have taken it to the driving range and on the course a few times now and kept my Callaway FT-5 in the bag so I could compare the two! I seem to be hitting the ball sweeter with the Callaway with a nice draw yet if I hit a bad shot with the Callaway it tends to be quite disastrous. The Cobra is giving me a straighter shot shape and perhaps a little more forgiveness in the bad shots yet it demands to be hit a little harder than the Callaway to get results from it. This has left me feeling like I am finally getting a bit of consistency with the Callaway and a nice shot shape but the Cobra is coming together nicely. I think in my head I have settled on the fact that the Callaway just feels more 'right' but should I persevere for a bit longer with the Cobra? The other thing that is niggling me is that the FT-5 is a draw biased offset, my game has improved since I bought it and it was bought to compensate for a tendency to fade, now I am consistently drawing the ball should I really be thinking about a switch to a neutral club? Decisions decisions! I have a week in Scotland booked in a fortnights time too and I want to get my head sorted by then :eek:

Sorry for all the babble but this is causing me a dilemma!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My answer would be to take the cobra onto the course rather than the range and see how it reacts then. Its easy to hit any club on a range when there is no pressure on, your loose and in the right tempo. I'd give it two rounds and then compare it to how you kow you've hit the Cally in the past. Alternatively if you can go out for a few holes one evening and its quiet why not take both out and hit two balls on each hole. That would give a direct comparison

MickCTR

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps. I already have done exactly as you said. I'm feeling as tho cally is the more predictable but I am my own worst enemy and I am talkin myself out of it. I'm playing this weekend so I think I will just take the callaway and see how things go.