Driver Loft

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I currently use a Ping G15 Driver with 10.5 degree loft, I hit it well but not consistantly and was wondering
if changing to a driver with a higher loft would help. I was thinking maybe a 12 or 13 degree as Ive been told it may help.
Anyone help with a bit of advice.

D

Deleted Member 1156

In very simplistic terms, more loft on your driver will make it easier to hit.

But in practice, the ideal launch angle is around 14* with somewhere around 2500-3000 rpm. If you have a slow swing speed you'll need to be towards the higher end of the rev range to get the lift required to keep the ball airborne. Stronger players require less rpm. I think your best bet is to go along to a shop/range/pro with a launch monitor to see what numbers you are getting from your driver. Once you have established that you'll be in a better position to find out if your current one is suitable for you or not.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
It's not just the loft but a mixture of loft and shaft.

I was playing 9.5 regular flex Nike and it carried the same as a G15 10.5 regular but had more run.

Then I got fitted for a 12 degree 910 D2 Titleist and a V2 Proforce shaft and got an extra 20yds carry and about 10yds in total. The driver when set up was actually 11.25 degrees.

If you have a reasonably consistent swing getting custom fit for a driver or any woods/hybrids will see much better results than off the shelf. IMHO of course.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As far as i know the more loft on your driver will put more backspin on your driver helping it go higher
and also would be less sides spin so should go straighter but higher

Please anyone correct me if im wrong

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for comments dont really need hight as I hit the ball high anyway just need to improre direction.
Think I will get a lesson in the new year and perhaps get a driver fitted. I do have stiff shafts fitted to my driver and 3 wood so might try going back to reg shafts.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Thanks for comments dont really need hight as I hit the ball high anyway just need to improre direction.
Think I will get a lesson in the new year and perhaps get a driver fitted. I do have stiff shafts fitted to my driver and 3 wood so might try going back to reg shafts.

Get a lesson and ask the pro for advice on if he thinks you are ready for a custom fit.

There's a few independents not far, then you have The Belfry just under an hour away or if you wanted to be more brand specific then Titleist at St Ives just under 3hrs away.

You say you hit the ball high, a lesson could be needed to correct a small issue or it could be you need less loft and possibly a stuff shaft. I would definitely go the lesson route first then if your pro says you are ready for custom fit then find the best driver for you.

Personally it's what I did except I specifically liked Titleist drivers and Hybrids so went to their National Fitting Centre about 2.5hrs away. For me it was about finding which club looked the nicest to the eye and then get fitted directly by that company. Completely ruling out any bias.

Bias is not always money orientated either, I know of 1 guy that played TaylorMade and pushed it to everyone, another who played Titleist and pushed it. Those were 2 guys who got no commission either. They were just fixated on the brand THEY played.

I paid £70 for my 2hr fitting session. Hit ProV1 balls during it and would happily pay double it for the benefits it brought to my game.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as i know the more loft on your driver will put more backspin on your driver helping it go higher
and also would be less sides spin so should go straighter but higher

Please anyone correct me if im wrong

this is definitely the right theory - but experience highlights how it's 'not that simple'!

as an example I have a 9.5 TM Superfast and a 10.5 TM Superfast 2 TP, both with the 'stock' S shafts ie nominally the same shafts.

to all intents and purposes they launch the same in my hands, but the more lofted one seems to fly straighter. Not having run them side by side on a trackman I hesitate to suggest the why's in terms of spin but the obvious conclusion is that the TP is delivering less spin overall - if I get the chance I will test this theory!

I'm posting this mainly as an illustration to the OP that increased loft may not deliver him increased height in practice.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lee Westwood has his driver at 11.25 degrees to promote a higher launch as (for him) it results in more roll. The Ping guy on day said to me that they fit more amateurs for higher lofted drivers as the combination of a higher loft with the right shaft is better for accuracy and distance.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I currently use a Ping G15 Driver with 10.5 degree loft, I hit it well but not consistantly and was wondering
if changing to a driver with a higher loft would help. I was thinking maybe a 12 or 13 degree as Ive been told it may help.
Anyone help with a bit of advice.

What exactly do you mean by "hit it well but not consistently" ??

If its consistency your after then you need to look at shortening the length of the club first I think. More loft on a club will not make it easier to hit if its too long for you in the first place.

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
I have not looked back since getting a 13.5 degree ping G15. You must try a higher lofted driver as they are not for everyone but it works for me.