Driver loft

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi, I don't play golf very regularly and have decided to buy a new driver to give me more chance of making a good connection off the tee. As my swing may be a little eratic at times is it better to get 12 degree or 10.5 degree loft or doesn't it make much difference? My present driver is about 15 years old and the head appears to be about half the size of the biggest ones now available and I'm hoping the latest technology may give me more confidence.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say buy the 12 degree. But then I would because it's suits me better. If you don't play very often, you might even like to consider a 13 degree or HT or "max" driver.
Why not order one of these from the nice people at Gamola golf.
http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Benross_VT_Xtreme_Driver.html
12 or 14 degree. Aldila DVS shaft....all for peanuts.

I gave away a 13 degree driver to a lad at the club the other month. He's gone from struggling with a 10 degree Nike monster to being quite consistent. I do believe he was in the hunt yesterday for a prize.
There's a lot of ego and self-deception in buying and using a low lofted driver. Make your life easy....buy an easy to use club.

Lindyhop67

Medal Winner
www.perfectequilibrium.co.uk
I agree...get yourself a 12 or HT driver. I started with a Taylormade R7 (HT) and it's still serving me well. The only difference now, as I get more consistent with it, is that I tee the ball lower on the tee to reduce the effect of the loft. Works a treat!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you tried just getting a decent up to date 3 wood.....If your erratic with a driver off the tee this will give you a little more consistency and more than likely alot straighter ball flight....
I dont play with a driver anymore and i reaped the benefits of it in our sunday monthly medal.....Got cut 2 shots....
There isnt a whole lot of difference in length between driver and 3 wood but there is a big difference in consistency and accuracy. ;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I was struggling with consistancy with a 10.5 degree Ping G15 driver, and have recently borrowed a Ping V2 Rapture 13.5 degree driver.

OK I lose about 20 yards compared with the G15, but more often than not, it is straight and not anywhere near slice city.

Think im gonna buy it off the bloke

Fragger