Driver Loft Query

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello experts :)

I started life with a Ping Rhapsody 14 degree driver with Ladies Soft Regular flex and now use a Ping G15 12 degree with Mens Soft Regular Flex. I get good distance and am only outhit by the 6'2" 7 handicapper who plays at the club ! My control is pretty good and hardly ever slice, never hook and invariably it's a bit of draw, sometimes fade and/or straight - to be honest I don't feel totally in control of which of the 3 but they all stay safe!

So - I do get a lot of height on the ball. I love to see it soar up into the blue sky but do feel I lose some distance and definitely carry both in summer and winter. I don't feel the height is a bad thing as such but wonder if a 10.5 degree loft might be better for me.

I wouldn't be so fussed except just had an email and our pro shop is selling them for £99 in their big sale starting on the 27th. Not sure I'll get to ask Paul my coach beforehand though !

Opinions? Experience? Upsides? Downsides?

Thanks, Amanda

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where do you position your ball in relation to your left foot with the driver?

Inside left heel...

I meant it's roll I lose - get plenty of carry but feel short changed when it just stops and some awful skiddy thing almost reaches my ball !

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's going too high from there, I'd say it's worth trying the 10.5 .
Can you ask the pro to tape one up for you to try on the range ?

I'm going to the club tomorrow so will see what shafts they have and if a SR will get it taped and try on the range. Thanks Bob.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
More loft=more forgiveness so If you want a lower loft then it will probably be harder to hit than your 12 degree driver. You say your pro has a sale is that for all drivers? Also I know this might be a more expensive option but you could look at a adjustable driver so you could tinker around with the loft till you find a loft that suits you :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
More loft=more forgiveness so If you want a lower loft then it will probably be harder to hit than your 12 degree driver. You say your pro has a sale is that for all drivers? Also I know this might be a more expensive option but you could look at a adjustable driver so you could tinker around with the loft till you find a loft that suits you :)

Not sure what's in the sale but will have a look and play and see if they'll let me try them on the launch monitor too!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
im in the same position amanda 12 degree driver, 220-240 (290 down wind lol) no roll, but i feel im losing distance. or am i greedy

I wouldn't swap my ball flight for the low scratchy nasty looking things but would like a bit more distance IF it's simply a matter of 1.5 degrees!!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
So - I do get a lot of height on the ball. I love to see it soar up into the blue sky but do feel I lose some distance and definitely carry both in summer and winter. I don't feel the height is a bad thing as such but wonder if a 10.5 degree loft might be better for me.

Always a tough one finding that balance between distance and accuracy with the driver. We all want to stick it out there as far as we can, but, is it worth maybe sacrificing some of your accuracy to get an extra 20 yards down the fairway. Not sure how far you hit your current driver but is 200 yards on the fairway not better than 220 yards in the trees?

I have messed about with lofts in the past trying to find the balance. I have found that 9.5 is perfect for me. I can get better accuracy, at the cost of distance by having more loft and I can hit it further when I go down the loft and get a stiffer shaft, but I lost too much accuracy when I did it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always a tough one finding that balance between distance and accuracy with the driver. We all want to stick it out there as far as we can, but, is it worth maybe sacrificing some of your accuracy to get an extra 20 yards down the fairway. Not sure how far you hit your current driver but is 200 yards on the fairway not better than 220 yards in the trees?

I have messed about with lofts in the past trying to find the balance. I have found that 9.5 is perfect for me. I can get better accuracy, at the cost of distance by having more loft and I can hit it further when I go down the loft and get a stiffer shaft, but I lost too much accuracy when I did it.

Agreed and without trying I guess I won't know what I might compromise in accuracy versus what I gain in distance. I hit it about 200 yards on average although left some almighty pitch marks yesterday and even a bit less height would have resulted in a bit of roll...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was fortunate that a few years ago I attended one of the tour van demo days where you can book into be fitted by the tour van. He had a good look at my driving and although I was hitting figures off the chart I struggled on the dispersal. He made me change my R540XD 8.5 X-stiff for an R7 Quad 9.5 stiff. Yes I did loose about 30 yards but was also got the dispersal about 15 yards closer together. Have you considered changing what you carry? I was wondering if you could hit a strong 3-wood and then carry a lower lofted driver. You could then have the 3-wood for accuracy off the tee and fairway, but also have the lower lofted driver for when you need to get it out there. Just a thought.....:mmm:

But hey only you will know when you try some lower lofts out. I do like the idea someone said about adjustable drivers though as you can always tweek the loft to suit you if you do not get on with the stronger loft.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only other thing I would say is look at your handicap. You are playing off 14 so a good golfer. Is it your accurate driving that has helped you get down to your current handicap? What is the thing that is now stopping you from pushing towards single figures?

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
move the ball back and learn to hit a stinger.youll get plenty of roll.....other idea is get fitted either for your ideal driver and or ball combination

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only other thing I would say is look at your handicap. You are playing off 14 so a good golfer. Is it your accurate driving that has helped you get down to your current handicap? What is the thing that is now stopping you from pushing towards single figures?

Still fairly new to golf and dropped from 19.2 this year so don't feel anything is stopping my push to single figures and next year aim to hit 12 minimum and maybe better. My mid/short irons haven't been great until this past couple of months and the G20's fitted for me are reaping rewards for sure. Too often I have got in a good position and not hit the green when I should have. My stroke index 1 and 2 on the course would be helped by an extra 20 yards off the tee for sure so if I can get that for £99 and no loss of accuracy then it will be money well spent :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still fairly new to golf and dropped from 19.2 this year so don't feel anything is stopping my push to single figures and next year aim to hit 12 minimum and maybe better. My mid/short irons haven't been great until this past couple of months and the G20's fitted for me are reaping rewards for sure. Too often I have got in a good position and not hit the green when I should have. My stroke index 1 and 2 on the course would be helped by an extra 20 yards off the tee for sure so if I can get that for £99 and no loss of accuracy then it will be money well spent :)

I think the simple answer is to try and test some out if you can. I wouldn't worry too much about the extra few yards on SI 1 and 2 as that is why we have shots. Maybe a lesson on mid irons and tighter dispersion and accuracy would be a cheaper and better option if you are pretty consistant with the big stick. It won't be long until Spring and the fairways firm up again. Mind you club testing is great fun even if you don't find "the one"

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another way to look at it Amanda is this. Has he got the same driver as yours but in a lower loft with the same shaft? If he has then for £99 you do not have a lot to loose if you can spare the money. Get it and try it, if it is not working straight away you can take it to the range and get familiar with it. As long as you do not get rid of your driver you will always have that to fall back on. If I am correct your signature says you only have 13 clubs in your bag. So you could always carry both drivers....:mmm:. Higher loft for short holes when you want more accuracy, lower loft for the longer ones where you want a bit more distance. It might just work. Then as you get more use to the lower loft the other driver can get put on the shelf. Just a little idea for you to think about.