Driver loft and distance loss or gain.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
how I’ve not fixed a slice by improving accuracy and ball strike quality?

You are correct in saying a slice is basically out to in with an open face.
What you have done is drop your right foot back 4-5 inches which essentially changes your aim 30-40 yards to the right.
So now your out to in swing which was 30-40 yards left is now straight because you are aiming 30-40 yards right.
Does that make sense?
And let me say as clear as I can, DO NOT CHANGE IT.
Trying to fix an out to in swing is very very difficult and you just don't have the time.
Keep the right foot where it is and let the swing go where it wants and work at 50-60 yards out.
Have you heard of the clock face technique?

Buckles01

Visit site
You are correct in saying a slice is basically out to in with an open face.
What you have done is drop your right foot back 4-5 inches which essentially changes your aim 30-40 yards to the right.
So now your out to in swing which was 30-40 yards left is now straight because you are aiming 30-40 yards right.
Does that make sense?
And let me say as clear as I can, DO NOT CHANGE IT.
Trying to fix an out to in swing is very very difficult and you just don't have the time.
Keep the right foot where it is and let the swing go where it wants and work at 50-60 yards out.
Have you heard of the clock face technique?
Thank you for the advice. As you mention time is at a premium for me at the moment and getting something that works is going to trump an ideal solution in reality. I’ll continue with the set up to help my rotation. I’d never heard of the clock face technique, just had a quick read. Unintentionally I think that’s what I’m trying to do when I focus on the inside rear quarter of the ball and swing 7-1 o’clock.

Buckles01

Visit site
I think what I was trying to do was square the face too soon before impact and over compensating. When in reality in any other sport using a racket, bat or foot like golf the ball is approached from the inside and the sling shot effect straightens strike at the moment strike. So visualising a clock face works for me ??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thank you for the advice. As you mention time is at a premium for me at the moment and getting something that works is going to trump an ideal solution in reality. I’ll continue with the set up to help my rotation. I’d never heard of the clock face technique, just had a quick read. Unintentionally I think that’s what I’m trying to do when I focus on the inside rear quarter of the ball and swing 7-1 o’clock.
H'mm!
The golf related clock-face technique I recognise/know is the Dave Pelz method for chipping/pitching, not one for how to strike a ball.
But if that visualisation helps, go for it!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Different thing.

This is a technique to help you control the distance of your approach shots.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
As a still relative newbie to the sport I’m looking for real life anecdotes to this quandary. Been playing for just 12 months and battled a horrid tendency to slice from day 1. I think this was caused by an over the top swing and a lack of rotation. Since lofting up my driver to 11.5%, using a high tee and dropping my back foot back I’ve somehow tamed the curse. Now see straight drives with a baby fade which are miles more predictable. To my untrained eye I hit a pretty high ball flight now and average a 220 yard distance. I’m wondering now how to gain a few more yards, should I loft up further and drop tee height slightly or crank loft back to standard? My big fear with the natural urge to experiment is that I could undo the progress I’ve made.

If you're hitting 220 yards now, you'll add a further 10 at leas as we move into summer. So length isn't really an issue so I wouldnt change anything youself. A Trackman lesson might help but you have a risk - as others have intimated - that a Pro may completly disect your swing. I'd focus on your approach play and putting

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you're hitting 220 yards now, you'll add a further 10 at leas as we move into summer. So length isn't really an issue so I wouldnt change anything youself. A Trackman lesson might help but you have a risk - as others have intimated - that a Pro may completly disect your swing. I'd focus on your approach play and putting

The summer roll out will help but the basic issue of path and face would remain. Surely solving the root cause would be the longer term solution and would also make life easier as it would leave shorter approaches