Driver - Help!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been really struggling with the driver, was going to try squeeze a lesson in but have had the time or appointment haven't fit in with spare time. Had an hour this afternoon that I didn't think I'd have so went to the range. Started hitting my driver really poorly, decided to try film it but didn't get a decent enough position but the footage was terrible anyway! Took time out and looked at a few positional and You Tube to get some basics back and cracked on again.

Started swinging more around the body and instantly saw a difference, still far from perfect or anywhere near decent but was much better. This is the footage I then started to film from a better angle. Hate watching it but any advice would be great. My normal/natural swing has always been a left to right shape shot and as you can see my shot shape is still left to right but is loads better than previously. Loads of work to do but feel slightly more confident after coming away feel optimistic about heading to the 1st tee when I play next. Hopefully next half hour at some point to go again and see if I can improve.
[video=youtube;PkChPeg5QZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkChPeg5QZU[/video]

All advice welcome.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing jumps out immediately and I suggest you try and fix it ASAP
I call it wrist roll.
Your thumbs start on top of the grip but straight away your wrists roll to the right with the back of the left hand facing the sky and the clubface wide open.

Not good.

In the backswing when the hands are waist height, try and feel the back of your left hand is pointing out in front of you and your thumbs are still on top of the grip.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Bob - yes very wristy. I may have this completely wrong but I tend to hinge my left wrist very early in the swing which I've been trying to straighten out then I have too many thoughts in my small brain and the ball doesn't go anywhere near target or at all and ends up 30 yards in the rough!!

I'll take what you have suggested with me and give that a go - thank you.

Am I too far from the ball too?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Am I too far from the ball too?

Yes a little
In fact there are a few things which aren't 'text book' but I wouldn't try and change too much at once.

I may have this completely wrong but I tend to hinge my left wrist very early in the swing

Yeup.
That may be ok for wedges when you want to promote a steeper angle of attack and big divotes but not the driver.

Stop the wrist roll first

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes a little
In fact there are a few things which aren't 'text book' but I wouldn't try and change too much at once.

Yeup.
That may be ok for wedges when you want to promote a steeper angle of attack and big divotes but not the driver.

Stop the wrist roll first

:thup:

Thanks for your time Bob - really appreciate it.