Driver Head Loft

benrique

Visit site
Hi all

New to the forum and been playing ~4 years and I want to buy a new driver and need some help.

Could somebody explain to me what the difference between a 10.5 degree head adjusted to 9.5 degrees and a 9.5 degree head? I assume there is no difference, however, the manufacturer lists the 10.5 head for swings 80-100mph and the 9.5 90-110mph. I fall into the latter bracket but don't see the difference(?)

For those wondering why I don't just buy a 9.5 degree, I'm buying a driver in the sale that I've used before.

Thanks in advance!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
De-lofting the 10.5 will open the face by about 2 degrees so it will point slightly right.
The 9.5 should sit pretty square.
At 10.5 the head will launch higher, spin a touch more and help reduce a slice just a bit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly 9.5 degrees is getting in to area of loft that would fall in the field of very good drivers of the ball.
worth looking at some technical write ups on ball speed and launch angle .
However the best thing would be to demo both heads to decide which suits you best.

Doesn't the "point slightly right" part depend on the technology of the club?

I would agree with that. Some adapters are better at controlling face angle than others.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hi all

New to the forum and been playing ~4 years and I want to buy a new driver and need some help.

Could somebody explain to me what the difference between a 10.5 degree head adjusted to 9.5 degrees and a 9.5 degree head? I assume there is no difference, however, the manufacturer lists the 10.5 head for swings 80-100mph and the 9.5 90-110mph. I fall into the latter bracket but don't see the difference(?)

For those wondering why I don't just buy a 9.5 degree, I'm buying a driver in the sale that I've used before.

Thanks in advance!
I find the bit in bold an odd thing for a manufacturer to state. Surely the fitting knowledge built up over the years confirms there's a lot more to it than that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I find the bit in bold an odd thing for a manufacturer to state. Surely the fitting knowledge built up over the years confirms there's a lot more to it than that.
It can be.
I remember the Callaway V series driver from 2015..the 9 degree head was neutral but the 10.5 and 12 degree heads were definitely more draw bias
Not saying that's the case here but it's not unheard of.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It can be.
I remember the Callaway V series driver from 2015..the 9 degree head was neutral but the 10.5 and 12 degree heads were definitely more draw bias
Not saying that's the case here but it's not unheard of.
I was thinking of adding "assuming no other differences in the heads", but OP hadn't said there was, so didn't bother.

I know I'm probably more of an "exception" but was fitted to a 8.5 head by a top draw (IMO) fitter, despite only a circa 95mph SS.
Mygolfspy often talk about similar in their testing.
I'm looking forward to playing golf with Jim and being told I'm a very good driver of the ball ???

benrique

Visit site
Thanks, all for your valued feedback. I thought the same re: manufacturers data, but it’s there on the Cobra website https://www.cobragolf.com/f9-instruction-guide

As Iain P said above Cobra also say that the 10.5 is more of a draw bias, maybe accounting for the target market of slicers (me). Any further feedback on the F9 or which club I should go for would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, all for your valued feedback. I thought the same re: manufacturers data, but it’s there on the Cobra website https://www.cobragolf.com/f9-instruction-guide

As Iain P said above Cobra also say that the 10.5 is more of a draw bias, maybe accounting for the target market of slicers (me). Any further feedback on the F9 or which club I should go for would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Honestly, a club isn’t going to override swing faults that cause slices etc.
you can try and get draw bias stuff...if I was in the market, I’d probably look at the Ping G series (410, 400) SFT heads

benrique

Visit site
Honestly, a club isn’t going to override swing faults that cause slices etc.
you can try and get draw bias stuff...if I was in the market, I’d probably look at the Ping G series (410, 400) SFT heads
It was said tongue in cheek, but 100% agree.
Thanks for your help

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
De-lofting the 10.5 will open the face by about 2 degrees so it will point slightly right.
The 9.5 should sit pretty square.
At 10.5 the head will launch higher, spin a touch more and help reduce a slice just a bit.

I don't believe this is the case, the way variable loft adapters work it's only the angle at which the shaft joins the head which is affected. If you open or close the face, yes, the loft will be affected but that's different.

The draw bias only exists if you lay the clubhead flat on the ground & take your grip. If you line the face up with your grip before grounding the club the face will be open, square or closed, depending on how strong your grip is.