Driver for a newbie

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
go for something with quite a bit of loft 12-13 degrees,
its likely to go further and straighter than a lower degree driver if your just getting started

JonnyBoy

Visit site
I like the look of that Calloway edge driver and I noticed you can get it with any loft. So I'd be better going for it with like a 12-13 degree loft?

A

Alex1975

If I were picking my 1st driver now I would look at the Ping K15/G15/G20.

My 1st was a Callaway FT-iQ and to some extent I wish I had kept it. They are still for sale 2nd hand and the straightest most forgiving driver I have ever used.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I like the look of that Calloway edge driver and I noticed you can get it with any loft. So I'd be better going for it with like a 12-13 degree loft?

yep go for as much loft as possible

i remember when i first started the best club in my bag was a 21 degree 5 wood, went soo much straighter and longer than the 10.5 degree driver.

you've got to put a pretty good swing on a driver to get the best out of it, i guess it just depends how good you are?...

go to a driving range and ask to demo a number of woods with different lofts

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having just switched to one, give the Mizuno JPX a go. Let my mate have a go and he would have gone for one if he had not recently changed to a K15.

Baldyeagle

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Certainly agree with the higher loft suggestions. I started with a 13deg Callaway Diablo (Draw) and I'm still happily using it 3 years later. I rarely out-drive my mates but they'd secretly rather be hitting my 200yd straight drives anyway. :D