Driver Fitting

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm a high handicap golfer who's thinking about getting fitted for a driver.
A. Is there any point
B. Where should I go.
Ie American Golf, Club pro
C. How much benefit would it give me.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
A. Is there any point
B. Where should I go.

I'm comfortable going with instinct and feel with my .370 graphite shafts,
but ceding to the prevalent trends, went to the launch monitor/simulator for my .335 shafts.

Needless to say, the fitter and equipment put me with shafts that cost as much as some sets that I've owned in the past.
For better or worse, I bit, so we'll see if the simulator results come true on the course come April.

I'm keeping an open mind.

But to suggest how much benefit one might derive from this procedure is not something that I could honestly answer at this point.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My opinion..
A. Yes...up to a point. Loft, head weight, length, shaft weight and flex, grip
B. Club Pro
C. Anywhere between nothing and loads depending on so many variables.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A. Is there any point
B. Where should I go.

A) Yes, but also dependant on whether you are having or plan to have lessons as any swing changes may affect what you get fitted for. Definitely in terms of the best shaft, loft, launch angle etc
B) Personally I'd avoid AG through poor personal experiences. A good club pro or driving range with a large selection of clubs and a decent swing studio or practice ground and ideally the chance to hit real balls and get real data
C) Too hard to answer although I'd suggest if you got fit you'd feel confident with the club in your hand and that may help put a positive and committed swing on it

D

Deleted member 16999

A. Absolutely, you’ll enjoy it.

B. Don’t listen to others who have had bad experiences as there are loads who have had no issues. AG is an ideal place to start as they will likely stock all brands and either have a studio or range attached, use and abuse them so to speak. Just be wary of the hard sell.
Once you have narrowed down your choice find a local Pro who carries the ones you’re interested in. (Remember very few Pro’s carry a lot of brands or have the fitting kits).

C. As Imurg as said it can be, but has many variables, one being, you have scratched the itch, only you can decide whether you wish to spend the money. At a minimum it will give you an idea of the type of Club or shaft etc which maybe more beneficial to your game.

Good luck.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a fitting is an enjoyable and somewhat eye opening experience. If you have the money and you fancy a new driver why not?!

The degree of improvement you see, however, is down to two factors for me. 1. If you’ve been for before, if you haven’t u have a better chance of making real gains. 2. How often you make a reasonably centre strike on the club face. At the end of the day, it’s your money, if u fancy it go for it (and much like club pros - you get AGs and bad).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is worth doing a fitting for driver I think, unless you're a total beginner and your swing is all over the place. You get to try a variety of drivers, different flex and length of shaft to find the set-up that's ideal for you. Even things like ball height on the tee that you might not have considered - on my fitting last year he got me to change to lower tee as he said I was hitting up on the ball enough and the highest tee was actually costing me distance. Glad I did the fitting and I love my current driver. Gives you a bit of a faith when your driver has been fitted to loosen on the tee and swing confidently.