Driver conundrum

Developer_dave

Visit site
Hi Guys

I have been playing a 9.5deg TM R5 stiff flex driver for about 15 years and as it is a bit weathered and battle scared, thought it time to upgrade. I tried a few on the range and settled with a 9 deg TM M6 also stiff flex.

I was at the range today and was experimenting with driver loft to see if I could improve distance as I felt it wasn't going as far on the course as the r5. The launch monitor says I was hitting around 245-260 yards (carry 215-225), 12-14 deg launch, 255-260 ball speed, apex height of about 80ft.

As I had the old driver in the bag thought I would give it a hit. I was shocked. Whilst the ball speed was less, 245-250, the launch was much higher 16-18 deg, apex of up to 100 ft, carry of 245-250, and a total distance of around 280-300 so still plenty of roll.

Both had a similar dispersion. If I increased the loft of the M6, I got a bit more carry but much less roll, with if anything a little less distance.

So for now the easy solution is to keep the r5 in the bag, but any pointers on interpreting these results, and where I should go from here would be much appreciated.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is something not right here.

The PGA tour average ball speed with the driver is 167.10 with the fastest being 184mph. Even if you are talking kph i would expect the carry distance to be a lot higher.

Do you know what the spin numbers were? Also, what ball type were you using and what launch monitor?

To be honest, unless you are playing on a baked fairway which is hard and bouncy, you will not see 30-40 yards of roll. Take the carry distance over the total.

Developer_dave

Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

This was with range balls, but with the monitor normalising the results for a normal ball - it assumed a hard surface hence the roll numbers, so I agree not realistic there. It is a toptracer monitor. The ball speed was mph by the way, but it was more the difference in the drives as opposed to the stats I was focusing on. The old driver was carrying noticeably father on the range - about 25 yards or so.

I don't have the spin numbers, as they were not displayed but I think this is the answer. By my own reckoning in an effort to hit up on the ball I had the handle of the club leaning too far backwards. I am going to try again at the weekend with a more neutral position and see if it changes things. Failing that I will book a session with an instructor.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It could be simply that the shaft in the R5 suits you better than the shaft in the M6.

Were you fitted for the optimum shaft.

With both the M1 and the M4 I currently use (both bought second hand) one of the first things I did was to change out the stock shaft for something for more suited to my swing.

D

Deleted member 25172

I’m sorry to ruin the party, but your ball speed of the head was not 200+ mph, and certainly not 250+ mph.

So, perhaps you’d like to go back and try it out on a different top tracer that is actually working properly.

Or have I read your post completely wrong?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah I would not be taking those top tracer readings correctly.

The ball speeds are far far far too high, like over 100mph too high.

If they were correct you would be hitting the ball well over 500 yards.

If you are noticing the ball going further to the naked eye then as Jim states it is most likely the R5 suits you best.

It would be interesting to know the CHS and spin numbers.

It could be just that you are striking the R5 better or that the shaft is more suited to your swing and maybe you are getting an extra few mph chs out of it which would equate to the extra distance.

When you tried the clubs did you try your old driver in a head to head? If so, what were the numbers like then?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I would think those ball speeds are 155-160, not 255-260! Still pretty high (over 100+mph club-head speed)

As for the results, it seems that after 15 years of 'getting used to' the R5, you've probably unconsciously optimised your swing for it. R5 was deemed a 'high spin' head (at least compared to the contemporary R7, which probably explains the higher peak height. I think I may still have the Tour (2 adjustable weights) R5 head somewhere that with the (too stiff, but nicely stable) shaft got me to my lowest handicap (7) many years ago.

I suggest you keep the R5!

Last edited: