Driver contact with ball

Diamond

Visit site
Afternoon - I have been plagued with a slice since I started golf 2 years ago. One of the tips, at the beginning, I was given was to stretch to the ball and not get too close to it. Roll on 2 years and I am finally hitting the ball straighter with a swing thought of swing right. Went the range today and couldn't see a single ball I hit with the sun so sprayed on some foot talc and after 10 shots noticed that most of my shots were toe end of the club. Is this simply being too far from the ball? If so I can remedy this easily. the top and bottom strikes is another matter :)

Driver contact 3.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put simply

Lots of marks towards the toe end indicate an in to out swing path that is too much on the inside and lots of marks to the heel end an out to in swing path that is too much out to in.

Diamond

Visit site
Put simply

Lots of marks towards the toe end indicate an in to out swing path that is too much on the inside and lots of marks to the heel end an out to in swing path that is too much out to in.
Cheers I am Trying to swing right to stop The slice.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Slice is caused by clubface being 'open to the path'. Not necessarily direction of the path - which, I presume, is why you 'swing right'.
So correcting the 'open clubface' would seem the first goal.
The fact that your strike is on the toe end doesn't help, but is likely not the primary cause.

Diamond

Visit site
Slice is caused by clubface being 'open to the path'. Not necessarily direction of the path - which, I presume, is why you 'swing right'.
So correcting the 'open clubface' would seem the first goal.
The fact that your strike is on the toe end doesn't help, but is likely not the primary cause.
I rarely slice now but all strikes are near the toe With my swing right swing thought.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it's too near the toe, you'll be able to feel/hear it. Otherwise I'd be inclined to ignore the thought of it being too near the toe and concentrate on feelng a 'centred' strike that has a good flight. You should be able to both feel and hear the strike and see the flight. A session with a Pro should help with all those senses, if not necessarily instant fix of toe-hits.

Diamond

Visit site
If it's too near the toe, you'll be able to feel/hear it. Otherwise I'd be inclined to ignore the thought of it being too near the toe and concentrate on feelng a 'centred' strike that has a good flight. You should be able to both feel and hear the strike and see the flight. A session with a Pro should help with all those senses, if not necessarily instant fix of toe-hits.
Yes when I feel bad contact I look at my driver and it is a toe strike. I think it can cause the new low hooky shot but generally speaking the slice when "swinging right" has disappeared.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Toe strikes can be caused by dragging the handle to the left through impact which pulls the toe of the club onto the ball. This can be caused by trying the get a forward leaning shaft and/or a lack of rotation through impact.

Try to stop the butt end of the grip getting past your left hip through impact.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Toe strikes can be caused by dragging the handle to the left through impact which pulls the toe of the club onto the ball. This can be caused by trying the get a forward leaning shaft and/or a lack of rotation through impact.

Try to stop the butt end of the grip getting past your left hip through impact.

To be absolutely pedantic, the left hip isn't mine it belongs to BUPA !

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I rarely slice now but all strikes are near the toe With my swing right swing thought.

The simple is advice is too look at the distance of the hit relative to the centre and move that much closer to the ball in you stance. It is always worth remembering that shaft flex in the swing moves the club head closer to your body. I.E. do not set up with the ball in the middle of the club face but more towards the heel.