Driver advice..

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Did a big Clubs4Cash recently so have got a driver fitting in the morning with the credit that got me

Hate it when people say they’ve ‘added 20 yards’ but borrowed a mate’s Epic and it was noticeably longer. The pro stocks Titleist, Ping and Callaway if anyone has any good recommendations? Currently have the G400

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Surely if its a proper fitting you will get to try them all?

Personally not a fan of the way most Callaway drivers sit behind the ball. So they are out of the window.

Between Ping and Titleist it would purely come down to performance between the two. What performance means is entirely individual, and can be different once on the course, so take that into account if looking at pure numbes on a launch monitor.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did a big Clubs4Cash recently so have got a driver fitting in the morning with the credit that got me

Hate it when people say they’ve ‘added 20 yards’ but borrowed a mate’s Epic and it was noticeably longer. The pro stocks Titleist, Ping and Callaway if anyone has any good recommendations? Currently have the G400

Can't get anything better than my g400 max. G425 came close but was negligible.

Callaway I find quite unforgiving, not tried the new titleist but, like callaway they're pretty expensive.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this isn’t helpful, but isn’t the reality that they’re all good and it comes down to personal preference in the end?

FWIW though, I am a Taylor made driver fan, currently using an oldish model (R15), but if I was upgrading TM would always be my starting point

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you’ll be able to get a driver that differs in flight characteristics which may or may not result in a bit extra distance and or accuracy.
But, the fitter won’t be able to get you any more swing speed, so unless your current driver is pretty unsuited to you I’d bet my house 20 extra yards isn’t available off the shelf.
Sure you can improve yardage but I’m of the belief that will come from an improved hit/swing rather than something you can buy off the shelf.

D

Deleted member 1147

I recently tried the new callaway.
On off centre strikes it went much better than my Titleist 917.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think you’ll be able to get a driver that differs in flight characteristics which may or may not result in a bit extra distance and or accuracy.
But, the fitter won’t be able to get you any more swing speed, so unless your current driver is pretty unsuited to you I’d bet my house 20 extra yards isn’t available off the shelf.
Sure you can improve yardage but I’m of the belief that will come from an improved hit/swing rather than something you can buy off the shelf.

Surely that will depend on how well or how badly the current driver suits?

I've had a Titleist fitting that offered slightly better distance & dispersion compared to the driver in use at the time, but the first thing the fitter said was that he was going to struggle to beat the numbers I was already producing with the current club.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ping are the best for drivers aren't they? Stick with them. Only heard good things about the G425.
But have you been in the presence of one being hit? The sound is dreadful, propa dreadful. I'm not one that is usually swayed by sound but it really is that bad.
It does feel good though.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How it sounds defo matters to me. Love the sound of my TS2. I find it reasonably forgiving tbh, even if I don’t get it in the middle it still goes and my bad ones are all me. Realistically they’re all fine choices so don’t prejudice yourself too much and go with the data/recommendation. It’s only in the case of a dead heat would i choose on aesthetics. Most of all enjoy the process!!! I’m waiting on a fitting to be rearranged thanks to lockdown and the itch has spread all down my legs and into my ankles.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm another fan of the TS2, I gained 12 yards average over my 915 which I was also fitted for. Apparently the TSi range is even better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Ping G425 Max.
I would say it’s not any longer than G400 Max imo.
But it is very much straighter which gains yards in a way.
Some of my mishits were longer than the flushed ones ( spin numbers down)
I quite like the sound but it’s subjective.
I didn’t like the stock ping shaft and went for a Tensei AV raw blue.
It suits my -4 AOA and it has improved my driving no end.
This is where the tech is keeping me competitive as I get older and still getting 250 yds at 64 is not bad.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm another fan of the TS2, I gained 12 yards average over my 915 which I was also fitted for. Apparently the TSi range is even better.

One of my mates recently changed from TS2 or 3 to to TSi3 (fully fitted for both drivers) and I reckon he has gained 20 yards plus.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I gained 14 yards when I got fitted (Cobra Speedzone) but that was due to lowering the spin and a stiffer shaft.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve gained approx 25 yards and a much tighter dispersion pattern moving from a Taylormade Burner driver (unfit) to a custom fit Ping G425 Max.

I’m not sure that kind of gain is possible for someone who has clubs that are already reasonably well suited for them. I had a 10 year tech catch up, a shaft that was too flexible for my swing speed and a first ever fitting to dial me in.

The thing that probably sets the G425 apart is that it’s already a very forgiving head, factor in a shaft that suits and then you can play about with things further by adjusting the weight track and loft. I have the weight set in the middle but loft up 1 degree and that seems to be the magic number.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
All this talk of yardage gains for club golfers, anyone would think that the R&A and USGA distance report was poppycock.

Or are they having the wool pulled over their eyes? :whistle: