Driver adjustment

captgray

Club Champion
Visit site
Dear all
I am a 26 handicapper been playing 2 years aged 55.
Last year I bought a R9 460 11.5 with regular shaft my pro set it up with a 1 degree draw as I slice.
I dont seem to hit it very far and complain about the height which seems to steal all the distance. I have lowered my tee down from silver to pink now white still very high flight.
Today I used my friends mizuno mx700 10.5 regular and was hitting it approx 30-40 yards further without slicing it.
Now should I reset my driver to neutral will that make it longer. Or is it the loft causing the problem. Any ideas thanks
Graham

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
1 degree loft difference is probably not the issue, nor in face angle. Maybe the shaft in the Mizuno suits you better? Just because they both say Regular, doesn't mean they are at all alike.

The MX700 should be available at good prices soon. There is a new driver due, the JPX.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
1 degree closed isn't likely to make a big difference.
What is your worry about the flight/height? too high, too low?
If you've gone from silver to pink to white, I reckon there's more to it than the club. All players swing it different, but if I teed it on a white tee, I can't see myself doing anything other than hitting down on the thing, which is not great.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is it worth experimenting on the range with moving the ball back slightly in your stance.

My understanding is a slice can be caused by the face being open on impact, this can happen to me if the ball is to far forward in my stance . Also moving the ball back slightly would mean you wasn't striking it do much on the up swing which should give a lower flight in principle?

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
All i can say is 11.5 degree, its there for forgiveness and carry. If you lower the loft you MAY not find the fairway as much. Most drivers now days are made to add flight.

I am sure you will find that a few lessons with a good pro will help lower your ball flight and make better distance.

Changing your tee hight will only work if you are able to hit the ball the same all the time.

Save your money for now, have a lesson or two then once you have mastered the big gun and the swing is OK, then look at changing your driver if you are not happy with it.