drills for using lower body?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
right had a lesson on Tuesday and working on using the lower body to start the swing as I am currently all arms/upper body

I had it sorted during and after the lesson, done my drills at home but at the range tonight I just couldnt implement it at all. My timing is crap and know my arms were taking over (old habits etc)

does anyone have any drills or tips for starting the downswing with the lower body?

bloody game is doing my nut in lol.

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
this is something my pro has me working on too, be interested in the replies

when i do it, it feels like to different movements first my hips swing through and then my arms but my hips are practically pointing at the target before my arms start down, is this right?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think its half way through Richie, if your hips have fully rotated at impact thats why your hitting left (possibly) as you have over rotated and probably closed the club face... I am not exactly in a position to advise but thinking it through in my head and trying to do it (glad the kids aint around thinking what a saddo there dad looks)

my main problem is starting the downswing, I try and use my lower body but my arms end up taking over . part of me thinks sod it and go back to my old method which was ok but unless I can get this ingrained I doubt I will see the improvements I am looking for

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What drills were you doing?

Can you do those drills at home?

How is your grip?

How are you aiming your lower body?

Slow motion swinging is usually useful in forming a new habit. The old habit is connected to it's timing motion and if you disrupt the timing element it is associated with, new habits can be easier to ingrain.

I'm aware of a few drills, but what's the cause of the OTT move? Hence, the 2 questions above and this one: Which part of the ball do you wish to make contact with on the clubface?

Edit:I do have another question, what is your understanding of how the ball gets airborne, namely what do you think should be happening at impact?

Last edited:

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
what do you think should be happening at impact?

the ball should be exploding shouldnt it? :D

try holding your forearms against your chest (no club!) but do everything else you would normally do in the swing. should be easier to feel whats right and wrong with your lower body, as your then removing the distraction of your upper half.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try this drill:

Take a mid iron and address the ball.
Pull your left foot back to your right so that your feet are together.
Take the club to the top and pause.
Step forward with your left foot and push your right knee in towards your left knee.
Pause
Now swing your arms and shoulders through.

Do this a number of times with a nice slow tempo and pick up on the sequence, then try keeping this sequence doing a proper swing.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Try this drill:

Take a mid iron and address the ball.
Pull your left foot back to your right so that your feet are together.
Take the club to the top and pause.
Step forward with your left foot and push your right knee in towards your left knee.
Pause
Now swing your arms and shoulders through.

Do this a number of times with a nice slow tempo and pick up on the sequence, then try keeping this sequence doing a proper swing.

Have you been watching strictly come dancing? :)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am getting confused when trying to start the downswing, I want to use my lower body more but end up trying too hard and ballsing it up.

the drills I have is one just with a shaft and trying to finish in the right position and the other is addressing a ball then placing the club 2-3 inches after the ball and turning the body into the finish position to get used to what it feels like trying not to move the head when placing the club after the ball, sounds a bit daft but it does seem to help visualise and get the feeling of how I should finish.

the trouble I am having is probably with tempo, needs to be more effortless and certainly a lot slower/smoother

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Speak to your pro, if you're still struggling with it as he will have more idea of the cause and how to best help you with that drill or another. It takes to make a change, it won't happen automatically especially if you are trying to re-sequence your stroke.

I asked about your grip, a weak grip can lead tot he OTTmove (swing on line and you can finish further right if the weak grip returns an open clubface, than if you'd compensated with a OTT swing.

I asked about the aim as if you are aiming right, you need to get the ball back to target, you can draw it or develop a pull stroke to compensate (OTT to where you're aiming) and can hit pull fades, slices from this also. It would be unusual to pull hook it back on target.

What is your ball flight relative to your target and where you are aiming (if not the same thing).

At impact some players think you hit the ball at it's centre point not inside, this can on occasion lead to OTT moves due to an incorrect understanding or visual picture of what you are trying to do. It can also lead to a breakdown of the left wrist through impact.

To try and get the lower body leading Bobby Jones pictured his left hand leading the club all the way through the downswing and into impact (if you go OTT it tends to throw the hands ahead). Faxon pictured an electric wire suspended 3 foot off the ground and tried to swing under hit (to hit a draw with the swing path you are trying to get closer towards). Jim Hardy would have you try to start your downswing with a bump of the hips forwards and them turning as the hand drops down the back, Sam Torrance spoke of pulling a lavatory chain. One lad I know likes the feel of his left arm staying connected (as if their is a towel their) in the downswing. Even swinging (and hitting balls) with your feet together can help with this, it's more for balance but if you lunge OTT you can pull yourself off balance, you can also feel your lower body working as it is 'freed' up (overly wide stances inhibit hip turn, narrow ones allow it, but you lose stability).

Edit: A couple more, place 2 balls on the ground level with each other, hit the inside one missing the one outside it (you can substitute a headcover for the outer ball). Or make a gate where you use 2 balls (or tee pegs) and place them around the ball you are hitting. To encourage an in to out or in to square plane have the first tee peg placed inside the ball but in fromt of it, the ball you are hitting diaganally back from it and on a continuation of that line the 2nd tee peg. Try to swing through the gate it creates out towards teh right half of the fairway (if you are right handed).

Feels are very individual, you need to try and find a feel or image that works for you

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
heres what my Pro had me doing to simplify it and make it a natural move for the lower half..

6 iron and max 3/4 swing
take stance as normal
pull left foot back so left toe is halfway back of right foot
swing as normal and lower half will clear easily to hopefully ingrain the feeling and correct move

you'll get some very nice contacts with this

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a feeling I am still aiming left therfore encouraging my old swing to creep in (fade/slice). I know I need to aim more for the draw which is the expected outcome with the new lower body movements. It will come in time.

Have emailed my pro for a breakdown of all the drills as I have pretty much half forgotten them (usually take a pen and paper and we go through it afterwards but I was running late)

thanks for all the info, mucho appreciated