Drills for Flat Golf Swing?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
shaun, just looked at your blog, nicely set out and man what a challenge, have you set a timeframe to achieve this or to re-evaluate?

as to your question about drill, on your blog you have many Mark Crossfield vids, he has a perfect one for exactly this scenario, keeps you on plane, no wrist roll, correct wrist set etc etc, its one I use a lot as the club can get 'laid off' too easily at the set position leading to shanks, thins, pulls etc etc

good luck with the blog, will watch with interest:thup:

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the info Darth, Im looking at about 3 years to reach my target with work and family commitments, but yeah i will check out Mark Crossfield on youtube just need to trawl through his piles of videos.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Dont forget Master Lukes Masterclass he did very recently, theres 12 of them, only a few mins long each one but very very useful

#1 here, the rest will be on the right hand side of youtube when this one finishes
[video=youtube_share;0DFYd78fc_8]http://youtu.be/0DFYd78fc_8[/video]
http://youtu.be/0DFYd78fc_8

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
I dont think you can go far wrong with a swing like Luke's seems perfect at times, unless you stick him in Augusta!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can remember Norman showing a drill using a bench to get the feel of the 1st part of the takeaway.

A few drills where the wrist cock is pre-set may help to get the feel of the position your wrists should be.

Leadbetter used to sell a swing setter that supposedly helped you set the club on plane. One part of it could be replicated by shoving a tee in the grip end of an iron so you can see where it is pointing at certain parts of the swing.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Some great video lessons there.... Did anyone else notice player 2 on the third video hit himself with the ball?? :)

01:13 into the video.... so funny (shouldn't laugh)

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The best tip that I ever saw that you can do on your own is to put a ball behind your club and take your swing. THe idea is to push the ball straight behind you not off to to the side. That will get you swing more upright.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
did that right foot back drill today and i even hit my 3 wood well off the tee and ground. must get me on an inside line. 3 wood back in the bag if this keeps up. bombed two down the par 5 17th today :)

kind of over did it with some drives which turned to hooks. really should head to the range but the course has taken over these days.

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Thankyou to everyone for your tips and comments, ive been working on the towel under the arms drill to gain more of a connection between my arms and body. Ive been hitting the shots nice and crisp however losing a little distance.

has anyone else had any results with this drill?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The towel drill is not for full swings.
The reason you've lost distance is because you've lost speed, especially the second swing.
And as for being flat...have you seen Matt Kuchar's swing ?

Photo2.jpg

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
Maybe your right bob, I just dont feel that ive got a reliable swing grooved yet so I thought the towel drill could create some consistency.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im trying to flatten out my driving again! lads if its not broke! its the only way i can draw woods and driver.that and the right foot back drill

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Maybe your right bob, I just dont feel that ive got a reliable swing grooved yet so I thought the towel drill could create some consistency.

As Bob says, towel drill is for 8-9 wedge half swing type shots, nothing more as the top of your arms will naturally seperate from the torso on a larger swing.

Kuchar has a one plane swing ie he swings it back on the same plane he will swing down on, as opposed to the other picture who's plane is higher at the top but will drop down below that on the downswing.

1664louis

Club Champion
Visit site
[video=youtube;5tziHKN63rk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tziHKN63rk[/video]

Does anyone think this drill will help to stop rolling of the hands?