Draining the swamp.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would agree that if it was proven that senior civil servants were behaving politically, then they should be removed. But the Idea that the Civil Service is there purely to carry out the will of the government is dangerous and wrong.
the upcoming court case is going to be interesting, and I have a suspicion that the Home Secretary is not going to come out of it unscathed.
The CS do have a job to advise and recommend but ultimately their job is to carry out the policy that the Government was elected to do. By all means advise and explain pros and cons but dont work against it.

U

User62651

Arguably toughest job in Govt Home sec, perhaps it's too much for Patel? Someone like Gove should be in there - a real brain with form for instigating change well.
There have been Conservative and Labour govt's for decades with the CS doing their job, this situation seems unprecedented, well at least one that has run publicly like this. Losing Chancellor and possibly Home secretary within a few months of an election doesn't come over as good leadership. I doubt Cummings will care.