Dougherty having a pop at Peter Alliss

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Can't we accept that there's a difference in Parkland and Links courses, and that some players are better suited to one than the other. It's not that one is better than the other, it's that they're just different.

If you were a betting man you probably wouldn't bet on the same pro on both types of course.

Got to agree that modern pros (as good as they are) probably lack the shot shaping skills of their predessors, or even the imagination. Agree that there's too much money in the lower ranks, but it's no different in football etc. But don't rule out the pros desire to win. What drives a lot of professional sportsman is the kudos of winning, not the prize money (the Olympics), however that might not apply to all of them.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is a cracking Parkland course down your way at Stoneham. Normally have a society day there every year and have a top day out.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am not sure where to start here. None of the shots featured in that clip had anything to do with 'shot making'. Links derived or otherwise.
A poor drive, followed by a chip out from the trees that was appalling decision making (the sort of chip out that ruins many of my rounds, but I am not a pro, and don't have a caddy who should know better), and badly executed into the bunker. A bad bunker shot into the water, again, no great skills required, just a straight forward shot badly executed, a penalty drop, a chip and a few putts. Where was the 'shot making' necessary in this?
Also can't see why Nick was moaning about the course, since the speed or playability (nasty americanism I know) of the greens didn't make him drive into the trees, and then compound his errors so badly.

DCB

Visit site
"He's had more hits than Take That" liked that one !

Prime example of how not to play the 18th

As if we would try such a thing.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with Peter Alliss,

However I think Nick is a great player, has had some great results including Winning the Dunhill Links at St Andrews on the Old Course.

He probably also isn't in the right frame of mind considering his Mum died a couple weeks back, cut the guy some slack!

We should back all our young pro's - He has the game to go a long way.

Just my 2p's worth.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
sadly he can't have it both ways. He is either in the right fram to play tournament golf after his loss or he isn't. That isn't meant to be callous but is a statement of fact. If he is still struggling to cope with his loss (quite understandably) and isn't playing well there is no way he can have any sympathy if he makes a hash of the hole in this manner. It was simply poor decision making followed by poor shot execution. Nothing to do with the course plain and simple

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whilst it is easy to sympathise with his loss we have to remember this is his job. Media work is part of the job these days as your image is important to your sponsors who probably contribute more than tournament winnings to overall earnings.

The commentary is part and parcel of the "show" and television drives the economic engine of World golf these days.If the pundits were not entertaining and didnt give an interesting view of what happened the majority would switch off. Nick needs to remember that he is part of the entertainment and whilst the tournament would still be there without tv his earnings would be back to where PA was when he played.

Medal Winner
Visit site
N Dougherty was a member of SHAW HILL GOLF CLUB near
chorley lancs has a kid. Thats a parkland course,and
were he was playing when N. FALDO started to coach him,
and i think faldo did a very good job with him.
3636 billy

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
These modern sports stars from football and golf have had adults pandering to their every whim since they were teenagers and they have had positives thrown at them all the time. So when a negative is thrown at them their only means of defence is attack. He should accept the comments made about him, discuss them with Mr Aliss and use them constructively instead of being aggressive and abrasive.