Doug McClelland comes home to South Shields

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Doug McClelland, who runs the largest Golf Superstore in Europe at Silvermere in Surrey, returned to South Shields Golf Club today to meet old friends and unveil a tribute to his golfing & business success. Among his successes on the course Doug won the Dutch Open in 1973 and followed it up with a joint 14th place in The Open at Troon. Doug now runs the largest Golf Superstore in Europe where he employs no less than 19 PGA professionals and lists among the people he coaches a tour pro, two lady pros & HRH Prince Andrew, Duke of York.

Doug started playing golf, aged 16 at South Shields and I had the pleasure of playing junior golf with him & saw him develop rapidly into the fine player he became.

We're glad Doug found time in his busy schedule to visit us & he has promised to return in the not too distant future.
P10_1121.jpgP10_1103.jpgTribute.jpg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I go to Silvermere from time to time. Loads of gear but pretty pricey. Never seem him there. That said, they've done a huge upgrade including making it a two tier range and allegedly improved the course. As its a five hour round minimum I've not played it yet

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been to the 'Mere for over 20 years. Seen Doug there quite a few times, sometimes in the shop but mainly doing top level tuition as he's a Master PGA Prof. Some of the people I've seen him teach are well beyond my pay grade.

New double tier range is good but a touch expensive. Shop is the biggest around.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The shop is an rrp superstore so I tent to avoid, although when he's having a blow out sale it's like a gold mine.

For an independent it's huge... And very well stocked.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whenever I've been to Silvermere I've walked out empty handed as they seem a bit pricey and the sales normally only have extra small or extra large sizes.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I go to Silvermere from time to time. Loads of gear but pretty pricey. Never seem him there. That said, they've done a huge upgrade including making it a two tier range and allegedly improved the course. As its a five hour round minimum I've not played it yet

I played it in early April for the first time. It's a decent course and very good value for money. The first few holes (1-6) and 17 - 18, all on the clubhouse side of the road are by far the nicest, but the rest are ok too, just not very memorable.

Greens weren't in great shape when i was there, but then I guess it depends what you're comparing it to as the greens at my place are as good as they've ever been this year.

As for pace of play, we played on a Friday morning and it was absolutely fine. We got round in 3.5 hours, which I think is about right for a 2 ball that hasn't played the course before, if anything I'd say that's quick.

Went back out in the afternoon (cost £10 each) and we only made it round the first 6 holes as it was tortuously slow. The three ball in front of us consisted of two ladies and senior, none of them were terribly good at golf, and I can't see that it was much fun having us right behind them on every shot they had, but for some reason, refused to let us through. Strange, but based on what others say on here, this is not uncommon on a vast number of courses.

Still, it's worth a visit, particularly if you're not a club member and you're struggling to find a decent place to play for a reasonable fee during the summer months.

As for the shop, I've had two very good experiences there. I was fitted for a Titleist 910D2 and was delighted with the service recieved and the price was considerably lower than it was availalble anywhere else, and recently I bought a SLDR Mini Driver, although it cost £10 more than American Golf, they had stock in the set up I wanted (16 degrees, stiff) when nowhere else did.

I like the place but I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited: