DOGS,DNA AND C**P

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a responsible dog owner and never leave anything behind when taking them out but I am totally fed up with seeing dog c**p on paths, grass verges.......everywhere. I think we should have a modern licencing system which involves a dna register (compulsory)for all dogs,then a warden can go round collect any samples left by irresponsible owners, do the dna test and fine them.Is this workable or am I dreaming of a utopian society? After all most governments are intersted in any revenue raising scheme.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Totally agree.

Its a cracking idea but the amount of money it would cost makes it a non-starter. It would probably cost more to police than they would get in fines. I mean, if its only £60 for speeding then you're only going to get away with a £30 fine for doggie doo.

I hope the Beeb are reading all this - last few days they've picked up loads of ideas for the next Grumpy Old Men (or not so Old men!!)

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great Idea, and totally workable, until the government go out for tender and award the contract to a prevoiusly unknown American company with no experience of dogs, or dog-dirt. Having said that, I won't be tendering for the work.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
They should just pass a law that any member of the public who spots someone leaving their dog s**t in unacceptable places should be allowed to follow the culprit and notify the public of that persons address so that any member of the public can deposit any dog s**t they find in that persons Car/Yard/House/Shed/Clothing or more beneficially, that persons wifes Car/House/ clothing etc.

Far fetched I know but it gives me some satisfaction just thinking about such a thing. :D

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
A guy that i use to work with walked his dog for many years on some land, that got developed in to a golf course .But he was not going to stop walking his dog there(he is a stubborn old git)
After many run ins with the course management he was warned that they would take legal action.
One evening he went round the course and filled all the holes with dog $**t

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think we should have a modern licencing system which involves a dna register (compulsory)for all, do the dna test and fine them. Is this workable or am I dreaming of a utopian society? After all most governments are intersted in any revenue raising scheme.

ID cards, DNA register, fine them. It's what the "government" and police want to do with us, let alone dogs. Utopian society - I think not. :( :(

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember white poo, If you were unfortunate enough to step in it, it was a little more forgiving than the brown stuff!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Timevans scheme is entirely workable and could be self-financing but, it is reliant on getting all dogs and cats (why does my partner's garden attract the little b*******!) being licensed and tagged.
Once that's done you use self-employed wardens who keep half the fine (incentive) as their payment (and currently fines for 'littering' are nearer £100 but never enforced). Raise that to £1000 for those who allow their pets to foul fenced children's play areas and you might get somewhere.

Oh, and the white stuff had just been around a long time and had bleached out, though it may have had something to do with dogs having more bone in their diet. If you're not seeing it something presumably is working, though that's easy to doubt.

B

birdieman

About 3 weeks ago we shut the cat in the utility room by accident and it thanked me by crapping in my wellies....grrrr.

Tend to agree with MVP on this, it's not the end of the world if you walk in a doggydoo, all animals and birds crap outside (except my cat occassionally), just because dogs are domesticated shouldn't mean we have to pick it up, it's putting nutrition back in the soil. What about waste from squirrels and rabbits - nobody bangs on about picking that stuff up!

Just need to watch where you're going! At Brora GC you have to play with cow and sheep crap everywhere! Cow pat and sand wedge don't make a good combo!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But dog owners are more responsible for where their animals go, so they could (and should) do something about it. Especially when it is in an area where children play, or in the middle of a foot path (any one been to Paris?). Difficult with cats, as they just wander off on their own.

As for cows and horses, their output is less disease ridden as they don't eat meat, so this is less of a health problem. Still won't wash off your car though.

Nice topic for discussion though.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whatever happened to white dog poo you use to see as a kid????

Bones, or lack of thats what happend. They had to stop putting bones mixed in with the meat in the food, they use to crush the bones up and chuck the powder in to add weight and taste. However, they had to stop for some reason.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whatever happened to white dog poo you use to see as a kid????

Bones, or lack of thats what happend. They had to stop putting bones mixed in with the meat in the food, they use to crush the bones up and chuck the powder in to add weight and taste. However, they had to stop for some reason.

Now I was led to believe that the white shite was caused by a medical complaint some dogs had...

Funnily enough I was wondering the same thing as homer the other week, about no-longer seeing white dog shite any more.

There was a time a long time ago I'll grant that the responsible thing to do as a dog owner was to make the dog do its buisiness in the gutter, where it would wash away in the rain straight down the drain.Of course that's when roads had proper gutters. And of course long before anyone ever came up with the idea of pooper scoopers & plastic bags to collect the mess.

As for fines, dog owners can be fined in the region of £1,000, or even £2,000 for letting a dog foul the pavement these days.. according to certain signs I've seen about. There again, I've yet to see anyone from the council actually out enforcing this.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
But what happened to it. You never see it these days. It used to be a bit harder and crisper and sometimes if you trod on it you got away with it!

Send me your address homer and i'll send you a bag of it :D

My dog ocassionally sh!£@s white. generally when she has eaten chicken.

I have a large garden which she liberally spreads with fertiliser and about 5% of this is white.
I have a submerged chemical dog doo thingy, had it years.

Don't get me started on other dogs though. I have a patch of grass in front of my wall (about 8') which adjoins a road and I have lost count of the number of times that I have had a go at people letting their dogs crap on there and forcing them to pick it up, sometimes waited until they have gone home for a bag. They generally mutter to themselves whilst doing it. If they didn't bring a bag then they had no intention of picking any up in the first place.
I told one owner that if they didn't pick it up i would get it on a shovel and put it through their letter box, they saw sense.

There is a fine for dog fouling. There are signs up in my area. It should be a deterrant,,, it isn't!

Great idea BUT.... how many would not register their dog? That's why they stopped selling the dog licence before. I would guess around 30% of people had a licence which means 70% didn't. I wouldn't see any change in this.
There are also the owners who just let their dogs out to roam and don't want the responsibility. These are generally the dogs that roam the streets and bite people/children.

If you buy a dog you also take on the responsibilty for it's upkeep,wellbeing and it's actions!
If it craps somewhere take a fine. If it bites someone or in some cases savages a child then there should be a period of internment.

BTW cats are just as bad. I have a couple of neighbours that have 5 cats between them. They frequently get an aerial attack of their property.

I have had a sh!£@ day and the last thing I thought I would be posting about is sh!£

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
I suppose when your feeling crap,the worlds crap its natural to complain about....crap. I try not to let things get to me as I want to decide what mood I'm in and not be dictated to by some lazy sod who thinks it's alright to let their dog dump outside my house instead of theirs.
Anyway I recall an incident at the seaside several years ago. Picture the scene, blazing hot day,sea gently lapping at the beach and me,the missus and the kids sat on a blanket having a picnic...perffick!
The kids decide they want a paddle so we move to the water's edge and at roughly the same time a car pulls up and a guy lets two dogs out which run on to the beach.He dosen't attend to them and they proceed to piss and crap all over the blanket.I ran up to the dogs and they pelted off back to this guy who I shouted at as I approached him but he just ignored me and made off in the other direction.
I was fuming so I took some bread bags and collected the crap up and went to his car and smeared it under every door handle and painted his windscreen for good measure. Other people in the car park watching this thought I was insane until I told them what had happened. I think I made my point!