Does your ball go further in different weather.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In the summer at Aylesbury Golf Centre I drove though one of the short par 4s on the back nine two weeks in a row, I carried the flag and was about 15 yards though the green on both occasions. I was back there on Saturday last and expected that the thicker air would see me hit the green this time and give me an eagle putt... I ended up 66 yards from the flag, I can take a few yards off as I faded the drive and the other two in the summer were draw shots but that is a 80+ yard loss. Air temp, no wind assist, thicker air.. I was still shocked!

80 yard difference though temp, shirley you are joking?

SamQuirkePGA

Club Champion
www.samquirke.co.uk
The book In search for the perfect swing touches on this and when first published in 1968/69 (Cant remember exactly)

From memory on a 200 yard drive at 15 degrees C (carry) with the ball the same temperature the difference at 0 degrees C was 15 yards less again with the ball at 0 deg C so 185 yards. This is all from memory I'd need to check the book when I'm home!

Other factors include the density of the air, the moisture does have an effect on the amount the ball carries.

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been told by my pro to expect to use maybe a one sometime two clubs up in winter due to the temp, air pressure wind and lie of the ball. So that could easily be a 20-30 yds difference per club then.