Does your ball go further in different weather.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The reason I ask is that I can usually hit the front of out 9th green with a PW, an 8 iron gets the back, however recently I can only hit the front with my 8.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Theres a few studies on the net if you google but temperature can make up to 10 yards difference in an iron shot
I would say the difference is much greater than that, on a long iron I lose around 25 yards or so in winter.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would say the difference is much greater than that, on a long iron I lose around 25 yards or so in winter.

I expect there is more than just the temperature of the ball as an effect, i expect air pressure also has an impact as does not being as loose/layered in clothes, the comment i made was based on some of the lab tests which i assume tried to just isolate temperature differences

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Every 3 degrees F below 70 will result in 1 yard loss of distance - purely temperature.
Everything else - wind, pressure, rain, clothes etc will also have an effect.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Factor in cold dense air, no run out, wet grass, claggy lies, wind, a poor swing due to too many layers, and it's amazing the ball goes any where really.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't thin barometric pressure will have a discernible impact, but basic density and humidity will be the big factors in the effect of 'air', then temperature on the ball speed off the club.

Some of these can work in your favour a little at times ie dense air but with the win behind, however, it's important to realise that even with a strong wind behind the ball speed at impact will still be a negative and even behind you the wind will not negate the negative impact of the moist dense air on a shot! (it's easy to think that dense air with the wind behind will 'help' - it's just less of a negative than wind against when less than a gale :)

I was seeing about -10% today despite hitting the ball as well as I have ever hit it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It does become more noticeable in the Autumn as we've become use to the ball running and flying in the warmer air conditions. Once we get the longer winter grass, wet fairways and rough and heavy air then it will make a one or two club difference

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I lose about 10-15yrds off each iron going into the winter. No biggie, I always prefer to hit full shots so knowing this stops me babying irons which tends to make me pull them.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Factor in cold dense air, no run out, wet grass, claggy lies, wind, a poor swing due to too many layers, and it's amazing the ball goes any where really.

:)

Currently getting shorter distances and no run myself, I'm adding 10% at least in these conditions.

D

Deleted member 3432

Nailed a 4 iron today into a gentle breeze, it went 155 yards! I could not have struck it better. Cool, damp conditions like that the ball just wants to fall out of the sky.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
You only have to watch the PGA tour to realise the difference it makes. Over there in sunny, warm conditions they are hitting 3 irons 240/250 easy, when they come over and play our open this drops to 220/230 due to the different conditions

A

Alex1975

In the summer at Aylesbury Golf Centre I drove though one of the short par 4s on the back nine two weeks in a row, I carried the flag and was about 15 yards though the green on both occasions. I was back there on Saturday last and expected that the thicker air would see me hit the green this time and give me an eagle putt... I ended up 66 yards from the flag, I can take a few yards off as I faded the drive and the other two in the summer were draw shots but that is a 80+ yard loss. Air temp, no wind assist, thicker air.. I was still shocked!