Does the grip effect the value of a putter?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Walking past a local charity shop today I saw 2 Odyssey Putters. A two ball (with my club logo on the face) and a Rossi II.

They were too cheap to leave! Only thing is they both have ugly replacement grips on them.

If I move them on, am I better leaving the grips so that buyer can add their preference? Or put a standard Odyssey grip on?

Jason.H

Visit site
I guess grips are a personal preference thing though with a quality new grip you could ask a good bit more. 2nd hand clubs fetch decent money so lucky you.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If they're awful I'd regrip with something not too expensive.
Not everyone wants to go to the trouble of getting clubs re-gripped or doing it themselves.

Although having said that, there's a seller on ebay who has quite a few decent vintage putters. but he "restores" them and puts inappropriate new grips on them.
I'd have bought at least a couple by now but they're ruined from a collector's viewpoint so I leave well alone.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the grips are in good condition I would leave them alone if they are worn and shiny I would sell with a new unfitted grip and give the buyer the option of having it fitted.

Two balls and Rossis are hardly collectors items.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not for me it doesn’t. It’s what is on the other end that matters. When I bought a Scotty a few years ago the first thing I did was cut off the grip and replace it with a standard Lamkin Crossline putter grip. The original was too soft and spongy.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have to say that if I bought a putter and didn't like the grip, I'd replace it with a Winn AVS midsize. My preferred grip of choice. Saying that, I have some friends who haven't replaced their of grips for years.

phillarrow

Visit site
Walking past a local charity shop today I saw 2 Odyssey Putters. A two ball (with my club logo on the face) and a Rossi II.

They were too cheap to leave! Only thing is they both have ugly replacement grips on them.

If I move them on, am I better leaving the grips so that buyer can add their preference? Or put a standard Odyssey grip on?

I presume you are thinking about selling them either at a lower price without changing the grips versus a higher price to recoup the cost of any new grip you add?
Personally, I'd be more likely to buy the cheaper of two putters available and replace the grip myself, than pay a bit more and hope I like the newer grip. The only exception to this would be if I had experience of the new grip and knew I liked it - but that means you'd be potentially restricting your customers to those who know they like the grips you've put on.

That's a long-winded way to say that I reckon you'd be better selling them with the grips as they are. (y)