Does Jordan Spieth play in the 2021 Ryder Cup?

Does Jordan Spieth play in the 2021 Ryder Cup?

• Yes

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Shocking that a player of his caliber had fallen so far down the rankings, to the extent that I'd started to feel sorry for him and I'm not a big fan. I think he'll play, he's on the right track, he's part of a core group of players that are likely to play to create the right environment and he's likely to win the Masters to complete his redemption so the circle will be complete - I can go back to disliking him.

Grizzly

Visit site
I think it depends on Stricker's thinking really - unlike Europe, who have a glut of players at the end of their RC careers (Rose, Casey, Westwood, Garcia, Stenson, Poulter, Molinari) and will find themselves having to decide between picking that experience or fielding a lot of rookies (because I reckon Hovland, Wiesberger, Hojgaard, McIntyre etc will be there or thereabouts), America have a core of players who ought to be around for the next 5-6 events in Thomas, Koepka, Reed, Cantlay, Bryson as well as DJ and Webb Simpson who are a little more mature but still at their peak AND the advantage of three "rookies" who are rookies in name only in Schauffele, Morikawa and Wolff. Stricker can basically pick on whatever criteria he wishes after that - Woods for his aura? Spieth because he is an all round good egg? Berger because he is all round good? Bubba to get the crowds (if there are crowds) going? He can pick for the future, or for the balance of the team, and will still field a decent dozen on paper.

D

Deleted member 1147

Spieth will be in as an automatic selection after he wins the Masters.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it depends on Stricker's thinking really - unlike Europe, who have a glut of players at the end of their RC careers (Rose, Casey, Westwood, Garcia, Stenson, Poulter, Molinari) and will find themselves having to decide between picking that experience or fielding a lot of rookies (because I reckon Hovland, Wiesberger, Hojgaard, McIntyre etc will be there or thereabouts), America have a core of players who ought to be around for the next 5-6 events in Thomas, Koepka, Reed, Cantlay, Bryson as well as DJ and Webb Simpson who are a little more mature but still at their peak AND the advantage of three "rookies" who are rookies in name only in Schauffele, Morikawa and Wolff. Stricker can basically pick on whatever criteria he wishes after that - Woods for his aura? Spieth because he is an all round good egg? Berger because he is all round good? Bubba to get the crowds (if there are crowds) going? He can pick for the future, or for the balance of the team, and will still field a decent dozen on paper.

I think that's perception to a degree - Rose and Casey are still good for this one and next - Casey in particular having a strong season whilst US have issues with Woods and Mickelson. Europe also have a core of players who will be around for a while in Rahm and Fleetwood who have played the same as Thomas for RC, Mcilroy in the DJ role, Hovland not too dissimilar to Cantlay who hasn't played Ryder Cup. Hatton and Fitzpatrick aren't quite at Koepka, Bryson level but are regular winners and have experience on tour and I'd consider them better than Webb Simpson.

They definitely could do with a few more younger players stepping up but I don't think there is as great a difference between the teams particularly with the age old US personalities not seeming to mix as well. Plus Rookies aren't like they were before, Rahm was a rookie last time out and within the top 5 players in the world. They can handle it.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
It’s an amazing turnaround, not sure it even matters if he doesn’t push on and win for now. Think he’ll always win some and lose some but at last he’s showing some lovely form. Love it

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only early into the 3rd round, but it could be hats-off time if Spieth continues as he is.

Riviera is a whole different test to the last 2 courses, he's hitting it fairly straight and right up there in contention.

Could he...? ?
Nope, wheels fell right off with 5 bogeys around the turn !