Does going up point one matter to you ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So before I start, if this has no interest in your game, step away from the topic, to whom it may concern, does the going up of point one bother you ??

Kinda off the back of my own weekend experience and the topic about someone not handing a card in (though I don't quite understand that topic haha)

I missed buffer on Saturday by bogeying the last, only the second time I've been outside buffer all season, devastated I was :whoo: so does it bother you when you go up point one ??

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course - I want to win every competition I enter.

If I can't win, I want to at least get a cut.

If I can't get a cut, I want to at least buffer.

Getting 0.1 back is basically the worst measurable outcome.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That depends. It matters in that you are obviously disappointed you didn't play well. Although it is not the actual 0.1 that stings, it is that fact that I had a poor round. If my handicap goes from 19.8 to 19.9 in my next comp, it doesn't really make a difference because a decent cut will wipe that later, but I'll just be disappointed I didn't play well enough.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope doesn’t matter - it’s only a game not to be taken too seriously

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was playing regularly, I got as low as 17 - however this was mainly on the back of matchplay results rather than medal scores (with the handicap secretary rightly cutting me for doing well in matchplay off a higher handicap). I had gone down about 6 shots in 2014, starting 2015 at my lowest handicap of 17.3. However I think I only had 1 decent medal round that season.

I felt that I was reasonably satisfied getting down to a respectable handicap. However in reality it became very difficult for me and I would inevitably go up 0.1 every medal.

Looking back I approached it with the wrong mentality as obviously I had never scored well in medals even off a higher handicap. I had taken lessons before the 2014 season, but got complacent on the back of decent results and a big handicap chop and didn't take lessons in 2015 - going back to my old ways of having the odd practice round myself in the evenings and 'hoping for the best' on a Saturday.

However, I still felt I was getting into the game and 'finding my level'. Had I been a few years down the line and been hovering about the 17 mark for multiple seasons, I may not have been as bothered. But as I was still at the stage where I was keen to improve, I really did not have an enjoyable 2015 season.

Changing jobs, moving house and having a little one in 2015 didn't help much either. My head was mush on the golf course most of the time.

D

Deleted member 3432

Yes, currently up 0.8 for the season from 9 outings and the other was a stableford adjusted buffer.

Put a lot of work into my game recently and its quite frankly awful. As Lump says .1 on its own is nothing but this run is the worst I've had for years. Usually a slow starter but not this slow.

Plans to hit a career low of 3 on hold and currently trying to avoid a heading into cat 2. A bit of wriggle room to play with but desperately want to find some form.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No - what bothers me a bit is playing more than two shots over my handicap. Going up 0.1 doesn't bother me as that is the inevitable consequence (assuming CSSS etc). I am changing things and recognise that there is a transition period whilst I sort it out and during that period my handicap is likely to go up 0.1 maybe four or five times in a row. And I will accept that as I work towards a better overall game with the objective of haltig the 0.1s and start on a run of reductions. Just the way it is for me. Gotta suffer before I get the pleasure.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes it does, as i only get cut 0.1 for every stroke anyway i can go up as fast as i can down, so strive to get cut then at worst buffer.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Nope, because if the handicapping system works correctly and your ability has stabilised to some degree, then you should only play to your handicap/buffer 33% of the time apparently thus receiving 67% 0.1's is part and parcel of the structure and then getting percentage cuts when you better it, your correct handicap should become a leveler.

If your not getting any 0.1's for longer periods, then your handicap is not correct!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Kellfire said earlier, you start every comp with high expectations but, more often than not, you end up trying to scramble into buffer to stop the dreaded 0.1.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not in the slightest, started at 17, went up to 21, now on 20, I dare say if I was playing regularly and without practice I'd likely end up around 24 or above, I know my level so getting a string of 0.1s back makes no difference to me. End of the day, it's just a game with nothing at stake, I'm not trying to win to pay the mortgage or anything.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course - I want to win every competition I enter.

If I can't win, I want to at least get a cut.

If I can't get a cut, I want to at least buffer.

Getting 0.1 back is basically the worst measurable outcome.

Swap the first two lines around and that's my priorities in a nutshell.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only when my exact is x.4.

I played for nearly 20 years with my handicap varying between a low of 5.4 and a high of 6.4.

It was only when the 6.4 became 6.5, 6.6, 6.7 and so on it started to bother me

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have no problems with a point one. Prefer it to limping into the butter, at least it's something to show for the £4.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I don't mind going up point one because I will have played badly and that is a result of that. I would be a bit more unhappy if I'd had a great front nine and then fell apart like an England World Cup campaign and ended up with a 0.1.

I have never played for a 0.1 in that I have never thrown shots away to make sure I get one. I do try and score well but sometimes I am just gash

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yes it does, as i only get cut 0.1 for every stroke anyway i can go up as fast as i can down, so strive to get cut then at worst buffer.
This for me .
I injured my ankle in February and have only buffered once this season out of 14 comps so have gone to 7 from 5 hcap.
I am still struggling with my swing as I have made to many compensations to keep playing.
Trying to go back to basics but it seems it’s .1 every time I tee it up.