Dodgy Site, or what…..

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Eccoukeshoe.com came up in search history when I searched for Ecco golf shoes. They have various pairs, but the pricing is ridiculously cheap. It looks fake as a comma is used instead of full stop for pricing. In addition there is no contact telephone number or address. The site address also has a padlock.
if it’s too good to be true it usually is, but out of curiosity has anyone ever come across them before ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would ask myself why a supposed UK retailler is using a .com address instead of .co.uk.

Just read the returns spiel, and the rather poor English and punctuation.... says all you need to know;)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would ask myself why a supposed UK retailler is using a .com address instead of .co.uk.

Just read the returns spiel, and the rather poor English and punctuation.... says all you need to know;)

To be fair. Plenty of very legitimate UK retailers use .com addresses.

I work for one incidentally.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

Yeah, avoid johnlewis.com for sure! ?
You're right about the poor English though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely dodgy!
Shipping & Returns are the 'best' area to identify such sites and, in this case, not only is the English poor, but they also mention Ladies Swimwear - which Ecco does not sell!

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eccoukeshoe.com came up in search history when I searched for Ecco golf shoes. They have various pairs, but the pricing is ridiculously cheap. It looks fake as a comma is used instead of full stop for pricing. In addition there is no contact telephone number or address. The site address also has a padlock.
if it’s too good to be true it usually is, but out of curiosity has anyone ever come across them before ?
This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in eccoukeshoe.com.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I used to run a mail order company but because I shipped across Europe purchased and traded under a .com domain. It’s pretty common.

Raziren

Visit site

Never heard of them but too many red flags. No address, basic English mistakes & it is clearly translated from another language e.g. they call the corona pandemic the crown pandemic (corona is Spanish for crown). I wouldn't touch them. It's not so much you might not get what you ordered, but it's where my credit card details are going (or being sold to).

A lot of websites including John lewis, Google & even this forum have a padlock and usually a HTTPS instead of HTTP at the start of the web address. The S stands for secure and means the website should be safe when you share data e.g payment details. I think companies have to pay for this extra security which encrypts your data. You should really look for this when buying online but it's still no guarantee going by this website.

If i was shopping on a legit european website I wouldnt worry about the commas in numbers - they do this in Europe.
"When we write numbers in English we use commas where continental European countries often use points, and points where continental Europeans use commas.
So, for example, while many continental Europeans would write 45.678,90 (forty-five thousand, six hundred and seventy-eight and 90 cents), native English speakers would write 45,678.90."

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I can confirm that it is dodgy as I bought street shoes from them. To be fair they were only slightly cheaper than a well known high street outlet shop which didn't have my size.
After buying them I thought let's have a look at the golf shoes. It was when I saw that the Biom 2 Yak leather Goretex lined shoes were only £80 the alarm bells rang. I contacted my bank immediately, but they had the cash which took quite a bit of chew to get back.
One of the contributory factors in not thinking anything untoward about the site at the time was that after googling the specific shoe they were advertising them for sale in a Google Ad at the top of the results page. I wrongly assumed that this made it all genuine. I reported this to Google, but it turns out I was wrong on every account and that Google are not interested in scam sites. Lesson learnt.
N.B. I did receive a scarf of them.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never heard of them but too many red flags. No address, basic English mistakes & it is clearly translated from another language e.g. they call the corona pandemic the crown pandemic (corona is Spanish for crown). I wouldn't touch them. It's not so much you might not get what you ordered, but it's where my credit card details are going (or being sold to).

A lot of websites including John lewis, Google & even this forum have a padlock and usually a HTTPS instead of HTTP at the start of the web address. The S stands for secure and means the website should be safe when you share data e.g payment details. I think companies have to pay for this extra security which encrypts your data. You should really look for this when buying online but it's still no guarantee going by this website.

If i was shopping on a legit european website I wouldnt worry about the commas in numbers - they do this in Europe.
"When we write numbers in English we use commas where continental European countries often use points, and points where continental Europeans use commas.
So, for example, while many continental Europeans would write 45.678,90 (forty-five thousand, six hundred and seventy-eight and 90 cents), native English speakers would write 45,678.90."

No it doesn't. The S does indeed stand for secure, but it means the transfer protocol is secure, NOT that the receiving site is secure. All it means is that your details will reach the receiving website without being read by anyone else en route. The receiving website could be deeply dodgy. Getting a certificate for the S is trivial.

I agree 100% with the red bit. NEVER share your details on a site that doesn't use HTTPS, as your details can be read by anyone on the path between your computer and the server, but NEVER assume that HTTPS sites are automatically trustworthy just because they use HTTPS.